Polarizers spectrum selectivity

• Thread starter beda pietanza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectrum
In summary: Actually, at 45° the output is closer to 50%. The formula for photons is usually given as cos^2(theta).As you suspect, there is a frequency range for polarizers, usually indicated by a stated wavelength. However, for commercial/experimental quality polarizers you aren't going to see any significant difference in performance across its rated range. For example, a linear polarizer for visible light might be rated from 300nm to 800nm (which is the entire visible spectrum, approx 400nm to 700nm).
beda pietanza
I read that of what comes out of a polarized filter at 0° if we put one at 45° the output is 85% of the remainings photons.

My questions are:

1) what is the selectivity curve of the polarizers versus the light spectrum ?

2) is the output coming out from the second filter depend on the light frequency ?

3) the quantum formalism (that I ignore) does take into account the spectrum selectivity of the filters ?

4) the same arrengement of two filters in a row one at 0° and one at 45°
using very different two monocromatic light would give the same results ?

Thanks in advance,

best regards

beda pietanza

Physics news on Phys.org
beda pietanza said:
I read that of what comes out of a polarized filter at 0° if we put one at 45° the output is 85% of the remainings photons.

My questions are:

1) what is the selectivity curve of the polarizers versus the light spectrum ?

2) is the output coming out from the second filter depend on the light frequency ?

3) the quantum formalism (that I ignore) does take into account the spectrum selectivity of the filters ?

4) the same arrengement of two filters in a row one at 0° and one at 45°
using very different two monocromatic light would give the same results ?

Thanks in advance,

best regards

beda pietanza

Actually, at 45° the output is closer to 50%. The formula for photons is usually given as cos^2(theta).

As you suspect, there is a frequency range for polarizers, usually indicated by a stated wavelength. However, for commercial/experimental quality polarizers you aren't going to see any significant difference in performance across its rated range. For example, a linear polarizer for visible light might be rated from 300nm to 800nm (which is the entire visible spectrum, approx 400nm to 700nm).

If you have some specific questions about performance of optical components, I might suggest you register with the following site (it's free) and look around. I think it will help you to get a better idea of what is out there.

http://optical-components.globalspec.com/ProductFinder/Optics_Optical_Components

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link,
my questions are generated from the sensation that all quantum weirdness may be the results of a combined aliatory outputs of filters or detectors or the aliatory nature of photons.

(aliatory=uncertain)

best regards

beda pietanza

1. What is a polarizer?

A polarizer is an optical filter that allows light waves of a specific polarization direction to pass through while blocking all other directions. It is commonly used in photography, LCD screens, and other optical devices.

2. How does a polarizer work?

A polarizer is made up of a material that has aligned molecules, which only allow light waves of a specific polarization direction to pass through. When light passes through the polarizer, the aligned molecules block all other polarization directions, resulting in polarized light.

3. What is spectrum selectivity?

Spectrum selectivity refers to the ability of a polarizer to filter out specific wavelengths or colors of light. This is achieved by the physical properties of the polarizing material, which can selectively block certain wavelengths while allowing others to pass through.

4. How is spectrum selectivity measured?

Spectrum selectivity is typically measured using a spectrometer, which can analyze the light passing through the polarizer and determine the wavelengths that are being transmitted or blocked. It is usually expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating a greater selectivity.

5. What are the applications of polarizers with spectrum selectivity?

Polarizers with spectrum selectivity have a wide range of applications, including in photography, LCD screens, optical instruments, and scientific research. They can be used to create more vibrant and accurate images, reduce glare and reflections, and analyze the properties of light in various experiments.