Understanding Summation with Delta Functions and Exponents in Math

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps from \sum_{n=0}^\infty \delta ( n - n_0 ) z^{-n} to z^{-n_0} . It is pointed out that \delta(n-n0) is equal to 1 if n=n0 and zero otherwise, which means that the sum can only be nonzero if n0 is a positive integer. This realization leads to a better understanding of the topic.
FrogPad
I don't see how the following works:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \delta ( n - n_0 ) z^{-n} = z^{-n_0} [/tex]

I am missing the steps from [itex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \delta ( n - n_0 ) z^{-n} [/itex] to [itex] z^{-n_0} [/itex].

If I try this step by step:
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \delta ( n - n_0 ) z^{-n} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \delta ( n - n_0 ) z^{-n_0} = z^{-n_0} \sum_{n=0}^\infty \delta ( n - n_0 ) [/tex]

Now, how is [itex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \delta ( n - n_0 ) [/itex] equal to 1. I don't get that.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
delta(n-n0) is equal to 1 if n=n0 and zero otherwise. So the only way the sum could be nonzero is if n0 is a positive integer. Is n0 a positive integer?

Last edited:
Dick said:
delta(n-n0) is equal to 1 if n=n0 and zero otherwise. So the only way the sum could be nonzero is if n0 is a positive integer. Is n0 a positive integer?

:) - wow, I've been looking at this crap for too long. I can't believe I missed that.

Thanks man :) Yeah, n0 is a positive integer.

time for a break...

1. What is a delta function in math?

A delta function, denoted by the symbol δ (delta), is a mathematical function that has a value of 0 for all values of its argument except at one specific point, where it has a value of infinity. It is used in mathematics to represent a point mass or impulse at a specific location.

2. How is a delta function used in summation?

In summation, a delta function can be used to represent the sum of an infinite series of terms. It acts as a placeholder for each term in the series, with the argument of the delta function representing the index of the term. This allows for the summation to be expressed as a single function, making calculations and manipulations easier.

3. What is the relationship between delta functions and exponents?

Delta functions and exponents are closely related in math, as they both involve a specific point or location. The exponent in a function indicates how many times the base number is multiplied by itself, while the delta function represents a point mass at a specific location. In summation, the exponent can be thought of as the index of the delta function.

4. Can a delta function have a negative argument?

No, a delta function cannot have a negative argument. It is only defined for non-negative values, as it represents a point mass or impulse at a specific location. A negative argument would not make sense in this context and would not be mathematically valid.

5. How is the concept of delta functions and exponents used in real-world applications?

The concept of delta functions and exponents has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, in signal processing, delta functions are used to model impulses in a signal, while exponents are used to model exponential growth or decay in a system. In quantum mechanics, delta functions are used to represent the probability of finding a particle at a specific location. Overall, the concept is widely applicable and has many practical uses.