Exploring Snell's Law in Curved Spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in how Snell's Law changes in curved spacetime and whether it is observer dependent. The possibility of finding a paper or online reference for deriving Snell's Law in the strong field relativistic limit is also mentioned. The link to a potential answer and related resources are provided.
blumfeld0
Ever since I took GR I have always been interested in how snell's law changes, if it changes at all, in curved spacetime.
The index of refraction depends on the optical density of the medium and this would be observer dependent? am i right on that?
i would love to see a paper or other online reference where snells law is derived in GR. i.e in the strong field relativistic limit.

or maybe it doesn't change at all? it just stays n1 sin[x1 ] = n2 sin[x2]

like P = number density* boltzmann's constant *Temperature holds relativistically and non-relativistically as I recall.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might find an answer here:

http://www.springer.com/dal/home/astronomy/general+relativity?SGWID=1-141002-22-1562772-0
Ray Optics, Fermat's Principle, and Applications to General Relativity
Series: Lecture Notes in Physics , M 61
Perlick, Volker
2000, X, 220 p., Hardcover
ISBN: 978-3-540-66898-5

related:
http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2004-9/ [Broken]
http://wwwitp.physik.tu-berlin.de/hellwig/vB/homepage/perlick.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for sharing your interest in exploring Snell's Law in curved spacetime. It is indeed a fascinating topic and one that has been studied extensively in the field of general relativity (GR). To answer your question, yes, the index of refraction can be observer dependent in curved spacetime. This is because the index of refraction is related to the speed of light, which is affected by the curvature of spacetime. Therefore, an observer in a different region of curved spacetime may measure a different index of refraction compared to another observer in a different region.

There have been several papers and studies on Snell's Law in curved spacetime, particularly in the strong field relativistic limit. One example is a paper published in Physical Review D by J. M. Bardeen and G. T. Horowitz, where they derive Snell's Law in a strong gravitational field using the geodesic equation and Fermat's principle. Other studies have also explored the effects of gravitational lensing on Snell's Law and have found that it can lead to interesting phenomena, such as multiple images and distortions of the incident light ray.

In terms of the equation n1 sin[x1 ] = n2 sin[x2], this is known as the Snell-Descartes law and it is a special case of Snell's Law in flat spacetime. In curved spacetime, this equation may still hold true, but it would depend on the specific geometry and curvature of the spacetime.

Overall, studying Snell's Law in curved spacetime can provide insights into the behavior of light in strong gravitational fields and can also help us understand the effects of gravity on the propagation of light. I encourage you to continue exploring this topic and to consult some of the papers and references available online for a more in-depth understanding of Snell's Law in curved spacetime.

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction when a light ray passes through the boundary between two different mediums.

2. How does Snell's Law apply to curved spacetime?

In curved spacetime, the concept of a straight line is replaced by a geodesic, which is the path of least resistance for a light ray. Snell's Law still applies in this scenario, but the angles of incidence and refraction are measured with respect to the geodesic rather than a straight line.

3. Can Snell's Law be used to explain the bending of light near massive objects?

Yes, Snell's Law can be used to explain the bending of light near massive objects such as stars or planets. This phenomenon is known as gravitational lensing and is a result of the distortion of spacetime by the massive object.

4. How does the index of refraction change in curved spacetime?

In flat spacetime, the index of refraction is simply the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the medium. In curved spacetime, the index of refraction is affected by the curvature of spacetime, which can cause the speed of light to vary in different directions.

5. Are there any practical applications of exploring Snell's Law in curved spacetime?

Yes, understanding the behavior of light in curved spacetime has important implications in fields such as astrophysics and gravitational wave detection. It also helps us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of spacetime and how it affects the behavior of light.