Redirect Output in UNIX: How to Use freopen() to Print to Console

• Thread starter ptabor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unix
In summary, you can use freopen to redirect output from stdout to a file, and then use either the /dev/tty filename or a pointer to a different file to redirect it back to the screen. However, it is not recommended to change the output stream multiple times as it may have been redirected by the user.
ptabor
So I'm using freopen to redirect output from stdout to a file... How do I redirect it back to the screen?

relevant code:

FILE *stream = freopen("data.txt", "w", stdout);

/* print stuff */

How the heck do I get the output stream to point to the console again?

Technology news on Phys.org
On Unix, you can access "the screen" (and every other device) via a filename. /dev/tty is a good bet for what stdout was attached to.

freopen("/dev/tty",...) should work.

But this isn't a very polite thing to do, because stdout might have been redirected by the user.

Another idea would be something like this:

FILE *myfile;
FILE *datafile = fopen("data.txt"...);

Then do

myfile = stdout;
or
myfile = datafile;

(filp back and forth as often as you like)

and do all your I/O to myfile.

Last edited:

To redirect output back to the console, you can use the same freopen() function but with "stdout" as the file name instead of a specific file. This will redirect the output back to the standard output stream, which is typically the console.

So the relevant code would be:

FILE *stream = freopen("stdout", "w", stdout);

/* print stuff */

This will reset the standard output stream to the console and any subsequent output will be printed to the console. It is important to note that this will only work if the standard output stream has not been closed or redirected to a different file. If that is the case, you may need to use a different method to redirect the output back to the console.

1. How do I redirect output in UNIX using freopen()?

To redirect output in UNIX using freopen(), you can use the following syntax: freopen("output_file_name", "mode", stdout). This will redirect the standard output (stdout) to the specified file.

2. What are the different modes for freopen()?

There are three different modes for freopen(): "r" for reading, "w" for writing, and "a" for appending. These modes determine how the output will be redirected to the specified file.

3. Can I redirect the output to a file and the console at the same time?

Yes, you can redirect the output to both a file and the console by using the "a+" mode for freopen(). This will append the output to the specified file, while still printing it to the console.

4. How can I redirect the standard error (stderr) using freopen()?

To redirect the standard error using freopen(), you can use the syntax: freopen("error_file_name", "w", stderr). This will redirect all error messages to the specified file.

5. Is freopen() only used for redirecting output?

No, freopen() can also be used to redirect input and error messages. You can use stdin for input, stdout for output, and stderr for error messages in the freopen() function.