Advice on College Transfer from UNSW to USA

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student at the University of New South Wales in Australia, but their family will be moving to the US soon. They are seeking advice on transferring credits and attending a community college in California. Some suggest staying in Australia, but the speaker is also considering completing their undergraduate degree there before pursuing a postgraduate degree in the US. The conversation also touches on the quality of education in the US and the speaker's family's decision to move.
Vanush
I'm currently an electrical engineering/computer science undergraduate in the University of New South Wales located in Sydney, Australia. The thing is, my dad got a job in the states and we'll be mmoving there soon. I'm in the second semester of my first year here (the academic year starts in late feb) and I need a little advice regarding college in the states.

So far, the suggestion has been made to enrol in a community college in January, complete the credits I need and transfer into a four year institution. I will be moving to california and will likely be attending De Anza college. Has anyone done this? Any advice?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there's not any way you can stay where you are, then you should most likely do exactly what the previous suggestion stated (assuming you don't already have the credits). My advice to you, however, is to try to stay exactly where you are, especially if you don't adapt well. if you follow the teachers alot, and you understand the methods they use, then moving to a different school could be very hard. If, however you feel confident enough to adapt well to the new teaching styles that could come, go for it man. there's not really much else you can do.

i would like to stay here, but my parents don't want to split the family up and won't let me stay for other selfish irrational reasons. my situation really sucks :(

I hope your situation gets better. I'm inclined to think that you'd be best to stay in Australia. At your age it wouldn't be easy to adapt to such a big change. By the way, are you the same Vanush from a popular NSW based student message board?

Last edited:
Benny said:
I hope your situation gets better. I'm inclined to think that you'd be best to stay in Australia. At your age it wouldn't be easy to adapt to such a big change. By the way, are you the same Vanush from a popular NSW based student message board?

yes. who are you, Benny,.

its quite likely that you would be able to transfer directly into a 4 years school in the US, send out your applications and hope for the best.

don't you get housing in an australian school? it seems illy to move all the way around the world if you don't have to and aren't inclined to.

Vanush said:
yes. who are you, Benny,.

Don't worry, I'm not one of the regulars there. Your username just seemed familiar that's all.

hmm, now it seems i have the choice of staying an extra year here to get 2 years of credits, then transferring. (so i can do an upper-division transfer)

should I do this? stay an extra year here at a university then transfer, or just go to the US into a community college..?

bump1?!

I just got the idea of staying here for my bachelors degree, then going to US to do a postgraduate degree. My reasoning is the fact taht the quality of undergraduate teaching would not vary greatly between universities (in developed countries, anyway). Plus, I get the feeling that tertiary education in the US is more focused on postgraduate education -- I mean, that's the basis of how universities are ranked, isn't it?

no point for you to transfer to community college. Try 4 years univ. directly and you would receive higher quality edu.

they won't let you stay? If you're a legal adult in australia and you still have your mom and dad tell you what to do with your life, grow a backbone.

1. How do I transfer from UNSW to a college in the USA?

To transfer from UNSW to a college in the USA, you will need to research and apply to the colleges you are interested in. Each college will have their own transfer requirements and application process, so it is important to carefully read and follow their guidelines. You may also need to submit transcripts, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

2. What is the best time to transfer to a college in the USA?

The best time to transfer to a college in the USA is typically after completing one year of study at UNSW. This will allow you to have enough credits to transfer and also give you time to research and apply to colleges in the USA. However, it is important to check with the specific colleges you are interested in to see if they have any specific transfer timelines or requirements.

3. Will my credits transfer to a college in the USA?

Each college in the USA has their own credit transfer policies. It is important to research and contact the colleges you are interested in to see if your credits from UNSW will transfer. Keep in mind that even if your credits do transfer, they may not count towards your major or degree requirements at the new college.

4. Do I need to take standardized tests to transfer to a college in the USA?

Some colleges in the USA may require you to submit standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT. However, this may vary depending on the college and your academic background. It is important to check with the individual colleges you are interested in to see if they require standardized tests for transfer students.

5. Are there any scholarships available for international transfer students to the USA?

Some colleges in the USA may offer scholarships specifically for international transfer students. It is important to research and check with the colleges you are interested in to see if they have any scholarship opportunities available. You may also want to research external scholarship opportunities for international students transferring to the USA.