Least fuel consumed from point A to B with no time constraint

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to optimize fuel consumption in a car with a CVT transmission and the driver's only concern is fuel usage. It is suggested to accelerate while keeping the engine RPM optimized for efficiency and then coast to zero speed before repeating the process until reaching the destination. There is a debate about whether it is better to maintain a constant speed or coast, with one person arguing that coasting is more efficient due to reduced frictional losses. However, another person counters that the load is still present at constant speed and it is also more efficient to coast than to cruise at a constant speed. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the question of how the driver should choose the maximum speed before coast
poiney
Let's assume we have a generic, standard design ICE car, except that transmission is CVT (continously variable) and can be popped into neutral, since this simplifies the problem.

Assume car travels in a hypothetically-empty freeway at any speed and also assume that driver is optimizing fuel consumption only, not time-to-destination or any other parameter. I think that to optimize fuel, driver should do the following:

Starting from point A, accelerate while keeping engine RPM optimized for fuel engine efficiency to some maximum speed -- not so high as to cause excessive air resistance. At this maximum speed, the car is put into "neutral", essentially coast to zero speed, re-engage transmission and repeat the process until driver gets to point B. Let's assume that engine remains idling during coast phase, not turned off (although I don't think it affects conclusion).

Instinctively one might think it better to leave car at some constant, "optimum" speed (i.e., leave in cruise control) but I assume that coasting is better since it reduces the friction of the engine/transmission during coasting phase.

Is this logic correct? I realize this is overly simplified, but that is my intention. If so, how does driver choose the maximum speed before coasting?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Poiney.
I think that you're mistaken, but I can't back it up with numbers because I don't know any math. The one thing that you might be overlooking is the inertia that must be overcome with every new (positive) acceleration. A steady speed doesn't encounter that problem.
I'll defer to the real engineers around here, though, since they know how to work it out.

Thanks.

I'm viewing this from energy conservation only. At constant speed, since the car still needs fuel to overcome losses, I don't think that the inertia argument applies.

and do you know that fuel is wasted more in acceleration and declaration because of the richer mixture fed to the cylinders and for maintaining a constant cruise speed, optimum mixture is used?

Maybe you are assuming that this car has a regular transmission?

I assumed that engine has a CVT so it remains at optimum RPM and gearing as it accelerates, so to first order, I don't think that we need to worry that the car is not "tuned" at optimum RPM (although maybe you are referring to some other effect).

When car decelerates is just idling since it is popped into neutral.

CVT does not mean that the engine has to counter constant load, still the load is maximum at the start and decreases with increasing speed.
and the best efficiency is obtained at the cruise speed

IIUC, you're simply arguing that in the limit of no frictional losses, that it takes no energy at constant speed, so this gives the best efficiency.

Of course, it is less efficient to accelerate than cruise at constant speed. But it is also more efficient to coast than to cruise at constant speed.

There is still a load at crusing speed to overcome frictional losses, so I don't see anything special about maintaining constant speed.

poiney said:
. But it is also more efficient to coast than to cruise at constant speed.

and what after coasting, you again need to accelerate, don't you??

poiney said:
There is still a load at crusing speed to overcome frictional losses, so I don't see anything special about maintaining constant speed.
the load when you are accelerating is more

1. What is the concept of "least fuel consumed from point A to B with no time constraint"?

The concept refers to finding the most efficient route or method of transportation to travel from point A to point B while using the least amount of fuel possible, without being restricted by time constraints. This is often studied and researched in the field of transportation and energy efficiency.

2. Why is it important to find the least fuel consuming route?

With the increasing concern for environmental sustainability and the rising cost of fuel, finding the least fuel consuming route is important in reducing carbon emissions and saving money. It also helps in improving the overall efficiency of transportation systems.

3. How is the least fuel consuming route calculated?

The least fuel consuming route is calculated by considering various factors such as distance, terrain, speed, vehicle type, and fuel consumption rate. Advanced algorithms and mathematical models are often used to calculate the most efficient route.

4. Are there any real-world applications of this concept?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of finding the least fuel consuming route. It is used in transportation planning to optimize routes for public transportation, logistics companies use it to determine the most efficient delivery routes, and even individual drivers can use it to plan their travels and save on fuel costs.

5. Can the least fuel consuming route change over time?

Yes, the least fuel consuming route can change over time as new technologies and transportation methods are introduced. Factors such as fuel prices, road conditions, and traffic patterns can also affect the efficiency of different routes.