Dig discovery is oldest 'pet cat'

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discovery
In summary, archaeologists have discovered evidence that suggests humans may have been keeping cats as pets for 9,500 years ago. A cat was found buried with its potential owner in a Neolithic grave on Cyprus and it seems that the cat was killed specifically for this purpose. While there is evidence that humans also ate cats during this time, the treatment of the cat's remains suggests a level of individualization and potential domestication.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The oldest known evidence of people keeping cats as pets may have been discovered by archaeologists.

The discovery of a cat buried with what could be its owner in a Neolithic grave on Cyprus suggests domestication of cats had begun 9,500 years ago. [continued]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3611453.stm

When it comes to humans and cats I'm not sure just who domesticated whom. I know that ours either get what they want or they pester us to death. Also, I don't see the cats cleaning the toilet but guess what I get to do?

Science news on Phys.org
It seems the eight-month-old cat in the Cypriot burial was killed in order to be buried with the person. The skeleton shows no signs of butchering, suggesting that it was treated as an individual in death.

But burnt cat bones from a similar period at the site, attest to the fact that humans did eat the animals on certain occasions.
So, maybe they just wasted the cat to bury with him so he'd have a SNACK! :wink:

Tsunami said:
So, maybe they just wasted the cat to bury with him so he'd have a SNACK! :wink:
I was thinking the same thing!

If they'd found a little pre-historic rubber mousie next to the cat I'd be sold!

What is the significance of the discovery of the oldest pet cat?

The discovery of the oldest pet cat sheds light on the domestication of cats and the relationship between humans and cats in ancient times. It also provides insights into the evolution of cats and how they have adapted to living alongside humans.

Where was the oldest pet cat discovered?

The oldest pet cat was discovered in a 9,500-year-old grave in Cyprus, an island in the Mediterranean Sea.

How do scientists determine the age of the oldest pet cat?

Scientists use radiocarbon dating to determine the age of the oldest pet cat. This involves analyzing the levels of carbon-14 in the cat's remains, which can provide an estimate of when the cat lived.

What evidence suggests that the cat was a domesticated pet?

The cat was buried alongside a human in a grave, which suggests that it was considered a companion or pet. In addition, the cat's diet was similar to that of humans, indicating that it was fed by humans.

What does the discovery of the oldest pet cat reveal about ancient societies?

The discovery of the oldest pet cat suggests that cats were highly valued and considered important companions in ancient societies. It also reveals the close relationship between humans and cats, which has been a long-standing and enduring bond throughout history.