Calculating Average Values and Proving Inequality for Particle Potential - N^nX

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a particle with a potential and Hamiltonian. The question asks to calculate the commutator of the Hamiltonian and XP and then find the average values of T and V. The solution involves recalling the commutator of an operator with the Hamiltonian and taking the time average.
ultimateguy
[SOLVED] Virial Theorem

Homework Statement

A particle has a potential [tex]\lambda X^n[/tex] and Hamiltonian [tex]H = \frac{P^2}{2m} + V(x)[/tex]

Knowing that the commutator of H and XP is [tex]i\hbar(n\lambda X^n - \frac{P^2}{m})[/tex], find the average values <T> and <V> and verify that they satisfy:

[tex]2<T>=n<V>[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The question asked to calculate the commutator and that is what I found, but I'm lost as to how to get the average values and proove the inequality.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question doesn't actually ask you to calculate the commutator; it gives you the value of the commutator (though with a sign error; it should read ...-P^2/m).

The next step is to recall what the commutator of any operator with the Hamiltonian gives you (Hint: Heisenberg EoM). After that you just have to take the time average on both sides, and take the limit of loooong times.

Last edited:
The question asked to calculate the [H, XP] commutator, I just didn't write it because I already found it and wanted to save time.

I'm not sure I understand the hint.

For an operator A, that is not explicitly time-dependent, [itex](i\hbar) dA/dt[/itex] is equal to a commutator. Does that help jog your memory?

Thank you! I solved the problem.

What is the Virial Theorem?

The Virial Theorem is a principle in physics that relates the kinetic and potential energy of particles in a system. It states that the average value of the total kinetic energy of a system is equal to the negative half of the average value of the total potential energy.

How is the Virial Theorem used in astrophysics?

The Virial Theorem is used in astrophysics to understand the stability and evolution of systems such as galaxies, star clusters, and interstellar gas clouds. It helps scientists to determine the mass and dynamics of these systems, and to make predictions about their future behavior.

What is the significance of the Virial Theorem in thermodynamics?

The Virial Theorem is important in thermodynamics because it can be used to derive the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of real gases and the concept of critical points.

What are the assumptions of the Virial Theorem?

The Virial Theorem assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium, that the particles are interacting through a central force, and that the potential energy function is spherically symmetric. It also assumes that the system is bound and does not have any particles escaping from it.

How does the Virial Theorem relate to the concept of virialization in cosmology?

In cosmology, virialization refers to the process by which collapsing structures, such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies, reach a state of equilibrium. The Virial Theorem plays a key role in this process by determining the ratio of kinetic energy to potential energy, which affects the overall structure and dynamics of these systems.