How do I put a Zenith Angle in my calculator?

In summary, the conversation discussed converting a zenith angle of 73 degrees 17'30" to decimal degrees using a calculator. The solution was found to be 0.446 degrees and various methods of inputting the angle on different calculators were mentioned. The conversation also touched on the possibility of the question being related to insolation or astronomy.
CaityAnn
1.I am given a zenith angle of 73 (degrees) 17'30"

2. How do I compute (2360/5280)times cos(73 degrees, 17'30") with a ti 89 and a regular scientific calculator?

3. The solution is .446 degrees

Thank you sooo very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
have a look at this link:

http://id.mind.net/~zona/mmts/trigonometryRealms/degMinSec/degMinSec.htm

convert to degrees...

to convert minutes to degrees divide by 60...
so 17' = 17/60 degrees

to convert seconds to degrees divide by 3600...
30" = 30/3600 degrees

But I don't see where the 0.446 comes from...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you taking astronomy? Is the question about insolation?

Can you give the complete question?

on most casio and sharp calculators (FX series and DAL series, is what most students use in my part of the world), there is a button that looks like . , ,,
if your angle measurement is set to degrees, you can input DMS measurements like this:
73 (. , ,,) 17 (. , ,,) 30 (. , ,,) and it will do the calculation in DMS. On the casio it returns the andswer in DMS and you must press this button again when it displays the answer to show you in decimal degrees. Hope that helps. I have used a TI89 myself but can't think how it differs. I only have a TI83 to hand and that is very different to a TI89 I think

1. What is a Zenith Angle?

A Zenith Angle is the angle between a given point on Earth's surface and the vertical line that passes through the same point. It is measured from 0° at the horizon to 90° at the point directly above (the zenith).

2. Why would I need to put a Zenith Angle in my calculator?

Calculating Zenith Angles is important in many fields, such as astronomy, geography, and surveying. It can help determine the height of objects, the position of celestial bodies, and the location of points on Earth's surface.

3. How do I convert a Zenith Angle to degrees?

To convert a Zenith Angle to degrees, simply subtract it from 90°. For example, a Zenith Angle of 45° would be equivalent to 90° - 45° = 45° in degrees.

4. Can I use my calculator's built-in functions to calculate Zenith Angles?

Some calculators may have a built-in function for calculating Zenith Angles, but it is not a common feature. However, most scientific or graphing calculators have trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) that can be used to calculate Zenith Angles.

5. How do I input a Zenith Angle into my calculator?

To input a Zenith Angle into your calculator, first make sure it is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians). Then, use the appropriate trigonometric function (e.g. sine, cosine, tangent) with the Zenith Angle as the input value. Make sure to double-check your calculator's user manual for specific instructions on inputting values.