Calculus Made Easy: Is It As Good As People Say?

• Thread starter Helical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, "Calculus Made Easy" is a book written by Silvanus P. Thompson in 1910 that serves as a simplified and accessible guide to learning calculus for beginners and non-experts. While many people have found it to be a helpful resource, its effectiveness may vary for different individuals. It is not a substitute for a complete calculus course, but can supplement and clarify concepts learned in such a course. While it may not be suitable for advanced calculus students, the material is still relevant and applicable to modern calculus, though it may not cover more recent developments.
Helical
I'm starting college next fall and I will have only gone throuhg Pre-Calc in high school. I've been looking for good introductory books on the topic and have found Calculus Made Easy to be highly rated. Is it as good as people say?

Also the version I'm asking about is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0312185480/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Physics news on Phys.org
i liked it, check it out at your local library. I'm sure they have it. my school has like 20 copies!

I cannot comment on specific books or products. However, I can provide some general information about calculus and learning resources.

Calculus is a fundamental branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation. It is a challenging subject, but also a very important one. Many fields of science, engineering, and economics rely heavily on calculus.

There are many resources available for learning calculus, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Each person may have a different learning style, so it is important to find the resource that works best for you.

In terms of Calculus Made Easy, it is important to note that it was first published in 1910 and has since been revised and updated. It may not cover all of the modern applications and techniques of calculus, but it can still provide a solid foundation for understanding the subject. It is also important to supplement any book with practice problems and additional resources, such as online tutorials or study groups.

In general, it is always a good idea to read reviews and do some research before choosing a learning resource. It may also be helpful to consult with a teacher or advisor for their recommendations. Ultimately, the most important factor in successfully learning calculus is dedication and consistent practice. Good luck with your studies!

What is "Calculus Made Easy"?

"Calculus Made Easy" is a book written by Silvanus P. Thompson, first published in 1910. It is a simplified and accessible guide to learning calculus, intended for beginners and non-experts in the subject.

Is "Calculus Made Easy" as good as people say?

Many people have found "Calculus Made Easy" to be a helpful and effective resource for learning calculus. However, as with any learning material, its effectiveness may vary depending on the individual's learning style and background knowledge.

Can I use "Calculus Made Easy" as a substitute for a calculus course?

No, "Calculus Made Easy" is not a complete substitute for a calculus course. It is a supplementary resource that can help supplement or clarify concepts learned in a calculus course.

Is "Calculus Made Easy" suitable for advanced calculus students?

"Calculus Made Easy" is primarily intended for beginners and non-experts in calculus. Advanced calculus students may find the material too basic or not comprehensive enough for their needs.

Is "Calculus Made Easy" still relevant today?

The concepts and principles taught in "Calculus Made Easy" are still relevant and applicable to modern calculus. However, it is important to note that the book was written over 100 years ago and may not cover more recent developments in the field.