Finding average acceleration from data points of a velocity time graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus problem regarding average acceleration, velocity, secant and tangent lines. The question asks for the average acceleration of a car over a specific interval, and the individual realizes that it can be found by calculating the net change in velocity over the corresponding change in time. They also mention not being allowed to fit a best line or derive an equation.
TexasCow
Well I posted this in the calculus section but think it would be answered easier here since it's mild calculus if any.

1. Homework Statement
I'm studying for a Calculus test and I am having trouble on a problem. And who better to ask than the members of physicsforums!?

Basically, we are studying average acceleration, velocity, secant and tangent lines. We are given the graph of a function, and its corresponding data points.

The question asks:
"Find the average acceleration of the car, in f/s, over the interval 0<t<50.(The inequality signs are acutally "less than or equal to", but I don't know how to input such characters.)

I'm aware that the derivative of a velocity time graph is its acceleration/time graph. So I assume that the slope of the line is the acceleration. Unfortunately, we are not permitted to fit a best line, or derive an equation. Is there another way of doing this? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The average acceleration is simply the net change in velocity over the corresponding change in time. You just need to coordinates of the two data points at 0 and 50 s.

This is the easy one.

Wow, I just realized. I feel so dumb! Thanks a bunch.

1. What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over a specified period of time. It measures how much the velocity changes per unit of time.

2. How do you calculate average acceleration from a velocity time graph?

To calculate average acceleration from a velocity time graph, you need to find the change in velocity (final velocity - initial velocity) and divide it by the change in time (final time - initial time).

3. Can you find average acceleration from just two data points on a velocity time graph?

Yes, you can find average acceleration from just two data points on a velocity time graph. Simply use the formula mentioned in question 2 to calculate the change in velocity and change in time between the two points.

4. What units are used for average acceleration?

The units for average acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²).

5. How is average acceleration related to the slope of a velocity time graph?

The slope of a velocity time graph represents the rate of change of velocity, which is the definition of average acceleration. Therefore, the slope of a velocity time graph is equal to the average acceleration.