How to Calculate Average Resultant Force?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a question involving average resultant force and how to obtain the correct answer using vector calculations. The method involves finding the resultant vector, dividing it by the time, and using the magnitude of the vector to obtain the correct answer.
jack1234
[SOLVED] Average Resultant Force

Hi for this question
http://tinyurl.com/3cbxlq

What I try is
Average Force
=(mv-mu)/t
=2000(6-4)/4
=1000
but this is not one of the answers. Meaning it is wrong.

May I know how to do this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well one has to take the difference between two vectors which are orthogonal (90°). So find the resultant vector and divide by the time to obtain the average acceleration.

[tex]\frac{\Delta\vec{F}}{\Delta{t}}\,=\,m\frac{\vec{v_f}-\vec{v_i}}{\Delta{t}}[/tex]

Assume the truck's initial speed is 6 i m/s and it takes a right turn and has speed 4 j m/s, where i and j are unit vectors in the x and y directions

Last edited:
Got it, thanks :) Using magnitude of vector to get the answer, it is c.

Correct! :cool:

1. What is the definition of Average Resultant Force?

The Average Resultant Force is the sum of all forces acting on an object divided by the time period during which the forces are acting.

2. How is Average Resultant Force calculated?

To calculate Average Resultant Force, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on an object and divide by the time period during which they are acting. The formula is: Average Resultant Force = ΣF / t

3. Why is Average Resultant Force important?

Average Resultant Force is important because it helps us understand the overall effect of all the forces acting on an object. It allows us to determine the average acceleration of an object and predict its motion.

4. How does Average Resultant Force differ from Instantaneous Resultant Force?

Average Resultant Force takes into account all the forces acting on an object over a period of time, while Instantaneous Resultant Force only considers the forces at a specific moment in time. Average Resultant Force gives us a more comprehensive understanding of an object's motion, while Instantaneous Resultant Force only tells us about its motion at a specific moment.

5. What factors can affect the value of Average Resultant Force?

The value of Average Resultant Force can be affected by the magnitude and direction of the individual forces acting on an object, as well as the time period during which they are acting. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and the mass of the object can also impact the value of Average Resultant Force.