Witness a Meteor Shower: Griffith Observatory Sky Report

In summary, the Griffith Observatory Sky Report for the week ending Wednesday, December 19 includes the annual Geminid Meteor shower, which will reach its peak on the late night of Thursday, December 13 and the early morning of Friday, December 14. The meteors can be seen from anywhere in the sky, but appear to come from the direction of Gemini the Twins. The best viewing spots are in dark wilderness areas, but they can still be seen from suburban locations. A reclining lounge chair and warm clothing are recommended for viewing comfort. The source of the Geminids is a near-Earth-object named 3200 Phaethon, which is thought to be a "dead comet." Many forum members shared their experiences
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just saw a very bright meteor streak across the sky. I thought someone was shooting off fireworks until I remembered this..

http://www.griffithobs.org/skyreport.html [Broken]

This is the Griffith Observatory Sky Report for the week ending Wednesday, December 19. Here is what’s happening in the skies of Southern California:

The annual Geminid Meteor shower reaches its peak during the late night hours of Thursday the 13th through the predawn hours of Friday the 14th. The meteors (which can appear from anywhere in the sky) seem to come from the direction of Gemini the Twins, which is low in the east-northeast by 10 p.m., and nearly overhead by 2 a.m., before gradually sinking toward the west-northwest by dawn. The meteors can appear at the rate of one or two per minute. Rates are highest in dark wilderness areas (such as mountains or deserts), but as long as the air is clear, Geminids tend to be quite visible even from suburban locations. A reclining lounge chair and warm clothing are recommended for viewing comfort.

I want to go out and watch some more, but it's cold outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was just out, saw 3 of them shoot by!

SPECTACULAR! :smile:

Q_Goest said:
I was just out, saw 3 of them shoot by!

SPECTACULAR! :smile:
Sweet! :cool:
I never expect to see very much in Los Angeles sky, so the one I saw caught me by surprise.

I was in Bintan Island in Indonesia with groups of astronomy friends. Saw about 15+ if not 20 meteors. I was lucky enough to see one through a binocular

yenchin said:
I was in Bintan Island in Indonesia with groups of astronomy friends. Saw about 15+ if not 20 meteors. I was lucky enough to see one through a binocular

Gosh - that sounds fun!

I was just reading a little more about the Geminid shower:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22252056/ [Broken]
The Geminids are thought of as rare because most meteor showers come from comets. But Geminids come from a near-Earth-object named 3200 Phaethon.

What do they mean by a "near-Earth-object" that is not a comet?

3200 Phaethon is probably a "dead comet" in the sense that it no longer exhibit comet structure like coma or tail.

Thanks for posting this MIH! I just finished a 6 hour drive tonight, and I knew I was seeing something up in the sky (I probably saw about 4 or 5 of them).

Math Is Hard said:
Gosh - that sounds fun!

I was just reading a little more about the Geminid shower:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22252056/ [Broken]

What do they mean by a "near-Earth-object" that is not a comet?

The source is an asteroid or a dormant comet. Asteroids are denser than comets and normally don't break up unless they've collided with something. Phaethon is less dense than an asteroid, but denser than a comet, so the thinking is that it might be a dormant comet that's accumulated a thick crust (an M&M comet :smile:). http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast04dec98_1.htm [Broken]

And what's wrong with cold weather. I like cold weather. Why, just yesterday morning, I was so moved by the weather that I flung my coffee cup 50yds across the street and broke into the Teaberry Shuffle. And well justified it was, since any day you're not rushed to the hospital with a 12 inch gash in the back of your head is a good day, indeed.

I just saw a very bright meteor streak across the sky.

Meteors are cool! In 2001, I was in the right place at the right time to see a meteor storm.

I want to go out and watch some more, but it's cold outside.

Cold? :confused:

Glad you got a chance to see one MIH, they are very cool.

Thanks for the explanation about Phaethon. I am glad to hear some others got to see the show.

And yes, by MIH standards, it was very cold! I put on a denim jacket and was still freezing.

yenchin said:

Here's a http://epsilonuniverse.wordpress.com/2007/12/17/astrobash-xx-at-bintan/" [Broken] of my trip. :smile:

yenchin said:
Here's a http://epsilonuniverse.wordpress.com/2007/12/17/astrobash-xx-at-bintan/" [Broken] of my trip. :smile:

Cool! I loved reading about your trip. Thanks for sharing that! :cool:

That was a wonderful trip you took, what a great spot for a Astro Bash!

1. What is a meteor shower?

A meteor shower is an event in which a large number of meteors, also known as shooting stars, can be seen streaking across the night sky. These meteors are actually small pieces of debris from comets or asteroids that enter Earth's atmosphere and burn up, creating bright streaks of light.

2. When is the best time to witness a meteor shower at Griffith Observatory?

The best time to witness a meteor shower at Griffith Observatory is during the peak of the shower, which is usually determined by the time of year and the position of Earth in its orbit. The observatory's website and social media channels often provide updates on upcoming meteor showers and their expected peak times.

3. How can I prepare for a meteor shower viewing at Griffith Observatory?

To prepare for a meteor shower viewing at Griffith Observatory, make sure to check the weather forecast and dress warmly if needed. It is also recommended to bring a comfortable chair or blanket to sit on and snacks or drinks. It is also important to arrive early to secure a good viewing spot as the observatory can get quite crowded during meteor showers.

4. Is there a fee to witness a meteor shower at Griffith Observatory?

No, there is no fee to witness a meteor shower at Griffith Observatory. The observatory is open to the public and offers free admission to its grounds and telescopes. However, some special events or programs may require a fee.

5. Can I see a meteor shower from anywhere in the world?

Yes, meteor showers can be seen from almost anywhere in the world, as long as the sky is clear and there is minimal light pollution. However, the visibility and number of meteors seen may vary depending on location. Griffith Observatory is a popular viewing spot due to its location in the hills above Los Angeles, providing a relatively dark and clear sky.