Number of Graphs on n vertices without isolated vertices

• Thread starter dobry_den
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of graphs on n vertices with no isolated vertices. The solution involves defining a set of "bad" graphs with isolated vertices and using the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle to count them. The final equation is then derived to calculate the number of graphs without isolated vertices. The expert suggests adding a brief explanation or proof and providing examples to further clarify the solution.
dobry_den

Homework Statement

What is the number of graphs on n vertices (V = {1,2,3,...,n} with no isolated vertices?

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined [tex]A_{i}[/tex] to be a set of graphs with the vertice "i" is isolated:

[tex]A_{i} = \left\{G=\left(V,E\right); \text{vertice "i" is isolated}\right\}[/tex]

Then I used the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle to count all the "bad" graphs, i.e. those with any of the vertices isolated:

[tex]\left|\bigcup_{i=1,2,..,n}A_{i}\right| = \sum_{k=1}^{n}{(-1)^{k-1}\binom{n}{k}\cdot2^{\binom{n-k}{2}}[/tex]

The last thing to do is to subtract this from the number of all graphs:

[tex]2^{\binom{n}{2}} - \sum_{k=1}^{n}{(-1)^{k-1}\binom{n}{k}\cdot2^{\binom{n-k}{2}} = \sum_{k=0}^{n}{(-1)^{k}\binom{n}{k}\cdot2^{\binom{n-k}{2}}[/tex]

Do you think it's correct? Every help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think your approach is correct and your solution looks mathematically sound. However, I would suggest adding a brief explanation or proof of why your approach is valid and how you arrived at your final equation. This can help others understand your solution and also showcase your understanding of the problem. Additionally, you may want to consider providing an example or two to demonstrate your solution. Overall, great job!

1. How is the number of graphs on n vertices without isolated vertices calculated?

The number of graphs on n vertices without isolated vertices can be calculated using the formula 2^(n(n-1)/2), where n is the number of vertices.

2. Are there any patterns or relationships between the number of vertices and the number of graphs without isolated vertices?

Yes, there is a clear relationship between the number of vertices and the number of graphs without isolated vertices. As the number of vertices increases, the number of graphs without isolated vertices also increases exponentially.

3. What is an isolated vertex in a graph?

An isolated vertex in a graph is a vertex that is not connected to any other vertices in the graph. In other words, it has no edges connecting it to other vertices.

4. Can the number of graphs on n vertices without isolated vertices ever be negative?

No, the number of graphs on n vertices without isolated vertices cannot be negative. The formula used to calculate this number only yields positive values.

5. How is this concept relevant in the field of graph theory?

The number of graphs on n vertices without isolated vertices is a fundamental concept in graph theory. It helps us understand the complexity and diversity of graphs, and is used in various graph algorithms and applications such as network analysis and data structures.