Equilibrium of Hanging Bag of Cement: Finding Tensions in Wires

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves a bag of cement weighing 300 N hanging from three wires in equilibrium. Two of the wires make angles of 50.0° and 23.0° with the horizontal. The third wire supports the bag alone and must have a tension of 300 N. To find the tensions in the other two wires, they must be broken into their horizontal and vertical components.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

A bag of cement of weight 300 N hangs from three wires as suggested in Figure P5.18. Two of the wires make angles 1 = 50.0° and 2 = 23.0° with the horizontal. If the system is in equilibrium, find the tensions in the wires.

http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p524wq2.gif

I am not sure how to do this problem and I am having a lot of problems with tensions in general. If someone could help me start this problem it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that wire 3 supports the cement bag alone; what must the tension in it be?

I thought so, in which case it would be 300N. As far as the other two tensions, I am still at a loss.

break the other two tensions into components

Ok I figured out how to solve it, thanks for the help

1. What is the "Tension bag of cement problem"?

The "Tension bag of cement problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the tension force in a rope that is attached to a bag of cement being lifted by a crane. It is a common problem used to demonstrate the principles of tension and equilibrium.

2. How do I solve the "Tension bag of cement problem"?

To solve the "Tension bag of cement problem", you will need to use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of equilibrium. First, draw a free body diagram of the forces acting on the bag of cement. Then, write out the equations of motion for each direction and solve for the unknown tension force.

3. What are the key concepts involved in the "Tension bag of cement problem"?

The key concepts involved in the "Tension bag of cement problem" include tension, equilibrium, Newton's laws of motion, and vector addition. It also requires knowledge of trigonometry to calculate the components of the tension force in the x and y directions.

4. What are some real-world applications of the "Tension bag of cement problem"?

The "Tension bag of cement problem" is applicable in many real-world scenarios, such as construction, engineering, and physics experiments. It can also be used to calculate the tension in cables supporting bridges or other structures.

5. Are there any common mistakes made when solving the "Tension bag of cement problem"?

One common mistake when solving the "Tension bag of cement problem" is forgetting to consider the weight of the bag of cement itself. Another mistake is not properly breaking down the tension force into its x and y components. It is important to carefully draw out the free body diagram and use the correct equations to avoid these errors.