Seeking Heatsink for 8-Pin DIP IC

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a snap-on heatsink for an 8-pin DIP IC, with one participant suggesting the use of a thermal pad or gap pad. Another participant shares a source for the desired heatsink and asks for assistance in calculating its effectiveness in cooling the IC. A third participant provides a simple calculation for estimating the chip temperature with the heatsink attached.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I have a circuit with an 8-pin DIP IC mounted in an IC socket. I am looking for a snap-on heatsink that I can put on it to keep it from overheating but I am having some trouble finding one. I checked Mouser/Digikey and neither one seems to have anything (for an 8-Pin DIP anyway). Do any of you happen to know of any companies who might carry something like this?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Generally, DIP is not an appropriate package for an IC that dissipates significant power. Are you possibly misusing your chip in some way?

- Warren

The chip is a MOSFET driver IC. In most cases, it won't have any overheating problems unless it is being clocked at the upper limit of it's power dissipation capabilities. There is a version of the chip that comes in a 5-pin TO-220 package but I prefer to use the DIP since I can socket it and replace it easily if/when it blows up without needing to re-solder it to the PCB.

Well, I don't know about any snap-on heatsinks, but I'd venture you could buy just about any small heatsink, put a layer of thermal grease on it, and screw it down onto your breadboard to keep it stable.

- Warren

i use something called thermal pad or gap pad for one of my motor driver chips. Its expensive and its not connected electrically. Just slap it over the ic and you're done.

Example:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=BER161-ND

Bergquist makes a lot of this stuff, different conductivity, thickness etc. You could probably request some samples from them. There are few more companies that does similar things like this have to look that up its been a while.

Hello All,

I finally found a source for the 8-pin DIP heatsink I was looking for here:

http://www.componentsuperstore.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductIdentifier=580100B00000GAAVIDTHERMALLOY6937361

Now I need some assistance with something. I want to use it with he http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=IXDD414PI-ND" [Broken] MOSFET driver Chip to keep it cool while running.

But I'm not sure how much cooler this heatsink will make the chip. The IC also comes in a TO220-5 package which I know I could just slap onto a regular heatsink but I want to be able to socket the IC easily and so far, I don't know of any TO220-5 sockets.

What I would like to know is how to calculate how much cooler the DIP package will be with the heatsink on it. How does one go about figuring this out?

Thanks,
Jason O

Last edited by a moderator:
Reasonably easy.

Thermal resistance of the heatsink is 30 deg C per watt.

So if it's attached to something that's dissipating 1 watt, then the temperature of the heatsink will be 30 deg C above the ambient air temperature.

i.e. if the ambient air temperature is 25 deg C (as it always seems to be in this sort of thing) then the heatsink temperature will be 55 deg C.

This is a fairly gross simplification, but gives you a ball park figure for what's going on.

The chip temperature will depend on how good the thermal coupling is between the ic package and the heatsink, which will add x deg C per watt to the calculation, where x is determined by the type of gunk that you smear on the heatsink and chip package.

What is a heatsink?

A heatsink is a device that is used to dissipate heat away from a component, such as an integrated circuit (IC), in order to prevent it from overheating and potentially malfunctioning.

What is an 8-pin DIP IC?

An 8-pin DIP IC (Dual Inline Package Integrated Circuit) is a type of electronic component that has eight pins arranged in a dual inline package. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and mobile phones.

Why do I need a heatsink for my 8-pin DIP IC?

8-pin DIP ICs can generate a significant amount of heat during operation, especially if they are used in high-power applications. A heatsink helps to dissipate this heat and keep the IC at a safe operating temperature, preventing damage and ensuring reliable performance.

How do I choose the right heatsink for my 8-pin DIP IC?

The right heatsink for your 8-pin DIP IC will depend on several factors, including the power dissipation of the IC, the ambient temperature, and the available space for the heatsink. It is important to consult the datasheet of your IC and select a heatsink that can handle the required amount of heat and fits within the available space.

Can I use any heatsink for my 8-pin DIP IC?

No, it is important to choose a heatsink that is specifically designed for use with 8-pin DIP ICs. These heatsinks are designed to fit the dimensions of the IC and provide optimal heat dissipation. Using a heatsink that is not compatible with your IC may not provide adequate cooling and can potentially cause damage to the IC.