Find Calculus-Based Physics Courses for Summer Study in the US"

In summary, the person is a sophomore in college who needs to take physics at another college during the summer due to studying abroad next year. They specifically need calculus based physics to fulfill a requirement, and are asking for recommendations for colleges in the US that offer this during their summer programs. They mention that larger universities likely have this option and ask about location preferences. They also mention that their school offers both 1 and 2 in 6 week semesters, and that general chemistry, biology, and calculus are also often offered in this format.
skidkid
I'm currently a sophomore in colllege and because I'm going to study abroad next year I need to take physics at another college during the summer. The trouble is, I need calculus based physics to fulfill my college's requirement. If anyone knows of any colleges in the US that have calculus based physics during their summer programs that would be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of them probably do, especially the larger universities. Does location matter? Have you checked the Web sites for colleges and universities in your area?

For example, the University of South Carolina at Columbia (the main campus) offers PHYS 211-212, "Essentials of Physics," this summer.

Last edited:
skidkid said:
I'm currently a sophomore in colllege and because I'm going to study abroad next year I need to take physics at another college during the summer. The trouble is, I need calculus based physics to fulfill my college's requirement. If anyone knows of any colleges in the US that have calculus based physics during their summer programs that would be great. Thanks

most do, in my school for instance they offer both 1 and 2 in 6 week semesters; lots of classes like general chem, bio, and calc are like that too.

What is the difference between calculus-based physics and algebra-based physics?

Calculus-based physics uses mathematical concepts such as derivatives and integrals to analyze and solve problems, while algebra-based physics uses simpler algebraic equations. Calculus-based physics is more rigorous and is typically used in higher-level physics courses.

Do I need to have a strong background in calculus to understand calculus-based physics?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus is necessary for understanding and applying concepts in calculus-based physics. This includes knowledge of differentiation, integration, and related mathematical tools.

Why is calculus used in physics?

Calculus is used in physics because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing and describing the physical world. Many physical phenomena, such as motion and forces, can be described and predicted using calculus-based equations.

What are some real-world applications of calculus-based physics?

Calculus-based physics has many real-world applications, including studying the motion of objects, understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and analyzing the behavior of fluids and gases.

Is calculus-based physics more difficult than algebra-based physics?

Calculus-based physics is generally considered more difficult than algebra-based physics because it requires a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their application to physical problems. However, with a strong foundation in calculus, it can be a rewarding and valuable subject to study.