Method of characteristics for a 1st order quasi-linear PDE.

• Thread starter sapiental
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method Pde
In summary, the method of characteristics is a technique used to solve first order quasi-linear partial differential equations (PDEs) by transforming them into a system of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) along specific curves called characteristic curves. It is applicable to first order quasi-linear PDEs where the dependent variable appears linearly and the coefficients of the partial derivatives are functions of the independent variables only. The steps involved in using this method include identifying the characteristic curves, solving the system of ODEs, constructing the general solution, and applying initial or boundary conditions. The advantages of this method include its ability to solve a wide range of first order quasi-linear PDEs and its systematic approach. However, it has limitations such as only being applicable to
sapiental
Hi,

I'm looking over the examples in my book for this problem and the general approach is

a(x,y,z)*u_x + b(x,y,z)*u_y = c(x,y,z)

where u(x,y)

I have the following problem in my notes:

1/x * u_x + 1/y * u_y = x^2 * sqrt(z)

and I get the solution easily because of the format:

Another problem i did was

y*u_x - x * u_y = 2xyu

where i multiplied both sides by 1/xy to get:

1/x*u_x - 1/y * u_y = 2u

the solution followed easily because of the classic format:

however, what i don't get is this format

u*u_x + y*u_y = x

the problem is an ivp with the following characteristics:

x = s, y = s, u = 2s

z = u(x_o,y_o) = u(s,s) = 2s

how do i get the solutin when it's not in the standard format? Or am i misinterpreting

a(x,y,z)*u_x + b(x,y,z)*u_y = c(x,y,z)

in the sense that the coefficient functions (a(x,y,z), b(x,y,z), c(x.y,z) can be any variable x,y,u(x_o,y_o)?

I don't have the book and all my examples are written in the convenient form I'm after which confuses me

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The format you are referring to is known as the "general form" or "canonical form" of a first-order partial differential equation. It is often used in textbooks as it is a standardized way of representing a wide range of equations. However, it is important to note that not all equations can be easily transformed into this form and may require different techniques for solving.

In your first example, you correctly identified the coefficients a(x,y,z), b(x,y,z), and c(x,y,z) and were able to solve the equation using the standard approach. In your second example, you multiplied both sides by 1/xy to transform it into the standard form, which allowed for an easy solution. However, in your third example, the equation is not in the standard form and therefore cannot be solved using the same approach.

In this case, it may be helpful to use a different technique, such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics, to solve the equation. It is also possible that the equation cannot be solved analytically and may require numerical methods.

In summary, while the standard form is a useful and common format for representing first-order partial differential equations, it is not the only approach and some equations may require different techniques for solving. I hope this helps to clarify your confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

What is the method of characteristics for a 1st order quasi-linear PDE?

The method of characteristics is a technique used to solve first order quasi-linear partial differential equations (PDEs). It involves transforming the PDE into a system of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) along specific curves called characteristic curves.

When is the method of characteristics applicable?

The method of characteristics is applicable to first order quasi-linear PDEs, where the dependent variable appears linearly and the coefficients of the partial derivatives are functions of the independent variables only.

What are the steps involved in using the method of characteristics to solve a PDE?

The steps involved in using the method of characteristics are as follows:
1. Identify the characteristic curves by finding the characteristic equation.
2. Transform the PDE into a system of ODEs along the characteristic curves.
3. Solve the system of ODEs using standard techniques.
4. Use the solutions to construct the general solution to the PDE.
5. Apply initial or boundary conditions to find the particular solution.

What are the advantages of using the method of characteristics?

The method of characteristics is advantageous because it can be used to solve a wide range of first order quasi-linear PDEs, including non-linear equations. It also provides a systematic approach to solving PDEs and can handle complex boundary conditions.

Are there any limitations to using the method of characteristics?

One limitation of the method of characteristics is that it can only be applied to first order quasi-linear PDEs. It also requires the existence of characteristic curves, which may not always be present. Additionally, the method may not yield a closed-form solution, requiring numerical methods to approximate the solution.