Freescale Microcontroller Help

In summary, the conversation discusses using a freescale DEMO9S12XDT512 microcontroller as a control system for an airship. The airship uses ultrasonic transducers to detect obstacles and the speaker is seeking advice on how to measure the time it takes for a pulse to return from the transmitter to the receiver in order to calculate the distance to an obstacle. They are using codewarrior development studio and are wondering about the interface to the ultrasonic transducer and the level of involvement needed from the microcontroller. They also mention the potential busyness of the microcontroller, especially if multiple sensors are involved.
neilmartin
I'm using a freescale DEMO9S12XDT512 microcontroller as a control system for an airship. The airship uses ultrasonic transducers to detect obstacles so it can then avoid them, to do this I want to send out a pulse from the transmitter sensor and measure the time that it takes to return to the reciever so I can work out the distance from an obstacle. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this as I have can't seem to figure it out, I am using codewarrior development studio to write the program.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What does the interface to the UltraSound transducer look like? Is it high level (like an SPI interface where you can just keep reading out distances that are measured at some periodic rate by the US sensor), or is it totally low level where you need to drive in a wavelet at the US frequency and then stop and start watching the RX sensor line?

How busy is your uC already? Can you afford a non-maskable interrupt if you need one? If you have to do the US stuff at a low level with your uC, it will be very busy, especially if you are doing multiple sensors.

Hello,

I would suggest looking into the datasheet of the freescale DEMO9S12XDT512 microcontroller to understand its capabilities and how it can be used for your project. Additionally, there may be online forums or communities where other users of this microcontroller can provide tips and advice on how to achieve your desired function.

In terms of using ultrasonic transducers for obstacle detection, I would recommend researching the principles of ultrasonic technology and how it can be used for distance measurement. There may also be specific libraries or code examples available for implementing this function with your microcontroller.

Furthermore, experimenting and testing different approaches may be helpful in finding the most efficient and accurate method for your airship's control system. I would also suggest seeking guidance from a mentor or colleague who has experience with microcontrollers and/or ultrasonic technology.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is a Freescale microcontroller?

A Freescale microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is designed to control electronic devices. It is a type of embedded system that can be programmed to perform specific tasks.

2. How do I program a Freescale microcontroller?

To program a Freescale microcontroller, you will need a development board and a compatible programming software, such as CodeWarrior or Kinetis Design Studio. You can write code in a high-level programming language, such as C or C++, and then upload it to the microcontroller using the programming software.

3. What are the advantages of using a Freescale microcontroller?

Freescale microcontrollers are known for their high performance, low power consumption, and small form factor. They are also highly customizable and offer a wide range of features and peripherals, making them suitable for a variety of applications.

4. Can I use a Freescale microcontroller for IoT projects?

Yes, Freescale microcontrollers are often used in Internet of Things (IoT) projects due to their low power consumption and ability to connect to various sensors and devices. They also have built-in security features, making them ideal for IoT applications.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with a Freescale microcontroller?

If you encounter any issues with your Freescale microcontroller, the first step is to check the datasheet and user manual for troubleshooting tips. You can also reach out to Freescale's technical support team or consult online forums and communities for assistance. It is important to ensure that your hardware connections and code are correct before attempting to troubleshoot any issues.