Div, Curl and all that jazz: Proving identities

In summary, the conversation is about proving the equation \int\left(\nabla \times \vec{F}\right)\cdot d\vec{V} = \oint \left(\vec{\hat{n}} \times \vec{F} \right) dS using the previously proved relation \nabla \cdot \left( \vec{F} \times \vec{d} \right) = \vec{d} \cdot \nabla \times \vec {F} and the Divergence theorem. There is also a question about the orientation of the surface in each integral and a discussion about using the cross product and closed integrals.
Archduke

Homework Statement

Prove:

[tex]\int\left(\nabla \times \vec{F}\right)\cdot d\vec{V} = \oint \left(\vec{\hat{n}} \times \vec{F} \right) dS [/tex]

Homework Equations

In the previous part of the question, we proved that:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \left( \vec{F} \times \vec{d} \right) = \vec{d} \cdot \nabla \times \vec {F} [/tex]
(where d is a constant vector)
And also, it looks like we'll need to use the Divergence theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so, here I go!

[tex] \int\left(\nabla \times \vec{F} \right)\cdot \vec{\hat{n}}dV \\

= \int \nabla \cdot \left( \vec{F} \times \vec{\hat{n}} \right) dV [/tex]

By the relation above proved from the previous part of the question. Next, I used the divergence theorem:

[tex]

\int \nabla \cdot \left( \vec{F} \times \vec{\hat{n}} \right) dV = \oint \left( \vec{F} \times \vec{\hat{n}} \right) \cdot d\vec{S} [/tex]

My question is...Is [tex] \oint \left( \vec{F} \times \vec{\hat{n}} \right) \cdot d\vec{S} = \oint \left(\vec{\hat{n}} \times \vec{F} \right) \cdot d \vec{S} [/tex]?

My initial thought is that it isn't, as the cross product isn't commutative. If that is thecase, where else have I gone wrong?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the orientation of the surface in each integral?

Erm, I'm don't know what an the orientation of a surface is, but I've had an idea.

I know that:

[tex] \vec{F} \times \vec{\hat{n}} = -\vec{\hat{n}} \times \vec{F} [/tex]

and that:

[tex] \int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx = - \int_{b}^{a} f(x)dx [/tex]

But, since it's a closed integral, I guess if we reverse the 'order' of integration, it doesn't matter if we do: the start and end points are the same...and the minuses cancel. Seems a bit of mathematical trickery to me, though. :frown:

1. What is the purpose of proving identities in "Div, Curl and all that jazz"?

The purpose of proving identities in "Div, Curl and all that jazz" is to demonstrate the relationships between the vector calculus operations of divergence, curl, and gradient. These identities are essential for solving complex problems in physics and engineering.

2. How do you prove identities in "Div, Curl and all that jazz"?

To prove identities in "Div, Curl and all that jazz", you will need to use vector calculus rules and properties such as the product rule, chain rule, and vector algebra. It may also require manipulation and simplification of equations.

3. Why are identities important in vector calculus?

Identities are important in vector calculus because they allow us to simplify complex equations and express them in terms of more basic operations. This makes it easier to solve problems and analyze physical systems.

4. What are some common identities in "Div, Curl and all that jazz"?

Some common identities in "Div, Curl and all that jazz" include the divergence of a curl, the curl of a gradient, and the Laplacian of a scalar function. These identities can help to simplify equations and provide insight into the behavior of vector fields.

5. How can I apply identities in "Div, Curl and all that jazz" to real-world problems?

You can apply identities in "Div, Curl and all that jazz" to real-world problems by using them to simplify equations and express physical phenomena in terms of vector calculus operations. This can help in solving problems related to fluid flow, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics and engineering.