Light transmission through glass.

In summary: Take an oscillating mass-spring system. Now move it laterally at a velocity v. Now do the same thing but move it at a slower velocity v'. The wavelength when it is moving with velocity v is going to be longer than when it is moving with velocity v'. Yet, in both cases, the frequency remains the same, since the mass-spring system is oscillating at the same frequency.
WoodenFrogs
I was wondering if anyone on here could give me a detailed explanation on how light passes through glass. I'm a junior in physics at a university, so it's OK if the explanation is complex.

Science news on Phys.org
light is having dual nature. when light travels from one medium to another medium wave length changes but no. of vibrations per sec i.e frequency remains constant. so velocity of light changes when light travels in glass or medium
refractive index[n]=C air/C medium

WoodenFrogs said:
I was wondering if anyone on here could give me a detailed explanation on how light passes through glass. I'm a junior in physics at a university, so it's OK if the explanation is complex.

You might want to start by reading our https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=104715" in this sub-forum. The entry on how photons move through a material might provide a starting point in understanding the mechanism of light interaction in solids.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vishal60 said:
light is having dual nature. when light travels from one medium to another medium wave length changes but no. of vibrations per sec i.e frequency remains constant. so velocity of light changes when light travels in glass or medium
refractive index[n]=C air/C medium

I'm trying to imagine how the frequency remains constant while wave length changes, if you draw two Sine waves with the same frequency, but with different wave length - how does it look like?

GT1 said:
I'm trying to imagine how the frequency remains constant while wave length changes, if you draw two Sine waves with the same frequency, but with different wave length - how does it look like?

You need a velocity component to this. Take an oscillating mass-spring system. Now move it laterally at a velocity v. Now do the same thing but move it at a slower velocity v'. The wavelength when it is moving with velocity v is going to be longer than when it is moving with velocity v'. Yet, in both cases, the frequency remains the same, since the the mass-spring system is oscillating at the same frequency.

Zz.

1. How does light pass through glass?

Light passes through glass in a process called refraction. When light enters the glass, it slows down and changes direction due to the change in the density of the medium.

2. What factors affect light transmission through glass?

The main factors that affect light transmission through glass are the type of glass, its thickness, and the angle at which light enters the glass. Other factors include the wavelength of the light and the purity of the glass.

3. Why does glass appear transparent?

Glass appears transparent because it allows most of the light to pass through it without any significant absorption or reflection. This is due to the structure of glass, which allows light to travel through it without scattering.

4. Can light be completely blocked by glass?

No, light cannot be completely blocked by glass. Some light will always pass through the glass, even if it is very thick. However, the amount of light that passes through will decrease as the thickness of the glass increases.

5. How does the color of glass affect light transmission?

The color of glass can affect light transmission as different colors can absorb or reflect different wavelengths of light. For example, clear glass allows most of the visible light to pass through, while colored glass may absorb some wavelengths and only transmit certain colors of light.