Solution Of A Differential Equation]

In summary, the conversation discusses a second order differential equation, d^2(y)/dx^2 = c/x, where c is an arbitrary constant. The solution is hinted to take the form of a trigonometric equation, but the correct solution is actually dv/dx = c/x, where v is the derivative of y. Some additional work is needed to find the final solution.
NEWO
Hi all I was wondering if i could get some help with this.

1. I need to be able to solve a second order differential equation,

2. d^2(y)/dx^2= c/x

where c is an arbitary constant.

I was thinking that the solution would take form of a trigonometrial eqauation, would this be correct?

Thanks for your time

N

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
NEWO said:

The Attempt at a Solution

You left this part of the template blank. What work have you done on the problem?

Well it's quite easy, here's a hint: succesive 'something' will do the trick.

WHY would you tnink "that the solution would take form of a trigonometrial eqauation"?

NEWO said:
I was thinking that the solution would take form of a trigonometrial eqauation, would this be correct?

Hi NEWO! :smile:

Noo … you're thinking of d²y/dx² = -cy.

Hint: just say the equation in ordinary English:

"y is a function of x, and if you differentiate it twice, you get c/x." :smile:

If you let [itex]v= dy/dx[/itex] then [itex]d^2y/dx^2= dv/dx[/itex] so your equation becomes [itex]dv/dx= c/x[/itex]. What is v(x)?

Halls, isn't your hint really the solution?

Well, almost. There is still a tiny amount of work to be done. And I suspect that "NEWO" won't bother to come back to look at the responses.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to model and describe the behavior of systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a solution of a differential equation?

A solution of a differential equation is a function that satisfies the given equation when substituted into it. It represents the behavior or evolution of the system being modeled.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods to solve a differential equation, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integral calculus. The method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

4. What is the importance of solving a differential equation?

Solving a differential equation allows us to understand and predict the behavior of systems in various fields. It is also essential in developing mathematical models and making accurate predictions about real-world phenomena.

5. Can all differential equations be solved?

No, not all differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations are too complex to have an explicit solution, and in such cases, numerical methods are used to approximate the solution.