Equation of Plane through M(2,3,1) and Line: Solved with Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary: I am wrongIn summary, the equation of the plane that contains the line is:\frac{x-x_1}{\begin{vmatrix}B_1 & C_1\\ C_1 & C_2}\frac{y-y_1}{\begin{vmatrix}C_1 & A_1\\ C_2 & A_2}\frac{z-z_1}{\begin{vmatrix}A_1 & B_1\\ A_2 & B_2}\end{vmatrix}}=\frac{y-y_1}{\begin{vmatrix
Physicsissuef

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane which passes through M(2,3,1) and the line

[tex]\left\{\begin{matrix}
2x-y+3z-1=0 & \\
5x+4y-z-7=0 &
\end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{x-x_1}{\begin{vmatrix}
B_1 & C_1\\
C_1 & C_2
\end{vmatrix}}=\frac{y-y_1}{\begin{vmatrix}
C_1 & A_1\\
C_2 & A_2
\end{vmatrix}}=\frac{z-z_1}{\begin{vmatrix}
A_1 & B_1\\
A_2 & B_2
\end{vmatrix}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

first I find the equation of the line:

[tex]\frac{x}{-1}=\frac{y+7}{-5}=\frac{z+3}{-3}[/tex]

What should I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with cross products? (You must be, to some extent, as you have posted determinants. A solution of this form I have never seen before.)
If yes, then [tex] N1 \\ X \\ N2 [/tex] will be the normal to your plane, where N1 and N2 are the normals to the lines given.

Last edited:
[itex]n_1 x n_2[/itex] will give me vector perpendicular to this ones, but how it will help me?

from that, you will have a, b, and c of the following equation for a plane.

[tex] a(x-x_{0})+b(y-y_{0})+c(z-z_{0})=d [/tex]

In other words, you will have the normal to the plane you're trying to solve for. Substitution of the point they give you will solve it.

[tex]n_1 x n_2=(-1,-5,-3)[/itex]

A(x+1)+B(y+5)+c(z+3)=D

Hmm... And what about x,y,z, should I substitute for M?

BrendanH said:
Are you familiar with cross products? (You must be, to some extent, as you have posted determinants. A solution of this form I have never seen before.)
If yes, then [tex] N1 \\ X \\ N2 [/tex] will be the normal to your plane, where N1 and N2 are the normals to the lines given.
Unfortunately, any line, R3 has an normals in an infinite number of directions- it doesn't make sense to talk about "the" normal to a line.

Physicsissuef said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane which passes through M(2,3,1) and the line

2x-y+3z-1=0 & \\
5x+4y-z-7=0 &

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{x-x_1}{\begin{vmatrix}
B_1 & C_1\\
C_1 & C_2
\end{vmatrix}}=\frac{y-y_1}{\begin{vmatrix}
C_1 & A_1\\
C_2 & A_2
\end{vmatrix}}=\frac{z-z_1}{\begin{vmatrix}
A_1 & B_1\\
A_2 & B_2
\end{vmatrix}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

first I find the equation of the line:

[tex]\frac{x}{-1}=\frac{y+7}{-5}=\frac{z+3}{-3}[/tex]

What should I do next?
Choose any two points on the line. For example, if you choose x= 0, you can solve the two equations 2(0)-y+3z-1=0 and 5(0)+4y-z-7=0 for y= 2 and z= 1: (0, 2, 1) is on the line. If you take x= 1, you can solve 2(1)- y+ 3z- 1= 0 and 5(1)+ 4y- z- 7= 0 for y= -23/11 and z= -2/11. The cross product of the vectors from (2, 3, 1) to those points will give you the normal to the plane.

I retract having said 'normals' to the line. I got 'normal-happy' , what with the terminology for planes.

But the plane don't necessarily need to intersect the line in 2 points. It can intersect it in one point...

The plane intersects the line at an infinite number of points, i.e. the line is contained in the plane.

Otherwise, you would need more information than you are given to determine the plane uniquely.

Physicsissuef said:
But the plane don't necessarily need to intersect the line in 2 points. It can intersect it in one point...

What plane are you talking about? You were told to find the plane that contains that line. Every point on the line is in that plane.

Yes, sorry. My fault.

Will it be correct if I show it like this:

[tex]a \circ n=0[/tex]

[tex](a_1,a_2,a_3) \circ (A,B,C)=0[/tex]

So one of the conditions is:

-A-5B-3C=0

the second condition is:

2A+3B+C+D=0

and the third condition:

0*A-7B-3C+D=0

-A-5B-3C=0 & \\
2A+3B+C+D=0 & \\
-7B-3C+D=0 &

The result is:

[tex]-5x-y-7=0[/tex]

right?

Just to mention that in the first post the line is:

x+y-2z+1=0 & \\
2x-y+z-4=0 &

Sorry, for mistake, I type the wrong line...

And can I ask you something?

Two planes to be parallel, must this condition be satisfied?

[tex]A_1x+B_1y+C_1z+D=0[/tex]

[tex]A_2x+B_2y+C_2z+D=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{A_1}{A_2}=\frac{B_1}{B_2}=\frac{C_1}{C_2}[/tex], since in my book doesn't look like that...

1. What is the equation of a plane through the point M(2,3,1) and a given line?

The equation of a plane can be written in the form Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, and D is a constant term. To find the equation of the plane through the point M and a given line, we can use the formula:

(x-x0)a + (y-y0)b + (z-z0)c = 0

Where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the line and (a, b, c) is the direction vector of the line. Plugging in the values for M(2,3,1) and the direction vector of the given line, we can solve for the coefficients A, B, and C to get the equation of the plane.

2. What is the direction vector of a given line?

The direction vector of a line is a vector that shows the direction of the line. It is usually denoted by v and is calculated by subtracting the coordinates of two points on the line. For example, if a line passes through the points P(1,2,3) and Q(4,5,6), the direction vector is v = (4-1, 5-2, 6-3) = (3,3,3).

3. How do you find the point of intersection between a plane and a line?

To find the point of intersection between a plane and a line, we can set the equations of the plane and the line equal to each other and solve for the values of x, y, and z. These values will give us the coordinates of the point of intersection. Alternatively, we can also use the parametric equations of the line and plug them into the equation of the plane to get a system of equations that can be solved for the values of x, y, and z.

4. What is a parametric equation of a line?

A parametric equation of a line is a method of representing a line using parameters. It is usually written in the form:

x = x0 + at

y = y0 + bt

z = z0 + ct

Where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the line and (a, b, c) is the direction vector of the line. The parameter t can take on any value and represents the distance along the line from the initial point (x0, y0, z0).

5. What is the process for solving a plane-line intersection problem?

To solve a plane-line intersection problem, we can follow these steps:

1. Find the direction vector of the line.

2. Use the point-slope form of the line to write the parametric equations of the line.

3. Plug the parametric equations into the equation of the plane to get a system of equations.

4. Solve the system of equations for the values of x, y, and z.

5. Check if the point of intersection lies on both the line and the plane by plugging in the values into the equations and checking if they satisfy the equations.