Design Ideas for Undergrad in DSP

In summary, the individual is looking for a design project to fulfill an undergrad design requirement and is interested in focusing on a DSP topic. They have taken several upper-level courses in both communications and DSP and have experience with electronics and programming. They are interested in designing an audio-related project, such as an FFT spectrum analyzer or a hearing aid that can compress frequencies for individuals with hearing disabilities. They have received suggestions for projects on a discussion forum and are considering implementing one of them.
WolfOfTheSteps
Hello,

I'm looking to meet an undergrad design requirement, which can be done with independent study. I'll graduate in December, so I have a lot of coursework under my belt. I'll also have all summer to research and prepare. I've focused on communications and dsp, and these are the upper-level courses I've taken:

• Digital Signal Processing
  • Digital Filter Design
  • Communications Systems
  • Digital Communications
  • Wireless Communications
  • Introduction to Feedback Systems
  • Introduction to Digital Control.

I've also taken a required electronics course, so I have some soldering experience as well as bit of experience building transistor circuits, but I'd rather work on a project that is software based. I'm a pretty good programmer and have a lot of MATLAB experience.

I think I'd probably prefer to do a design project focusing on a DSP topic... like maybe something with audio? I'm already doing another independent study in communications, and my school offers more communications courses than DSP, so I want to balance out a little and try something in DSP.

So, does anyone have any ideas for interesting things I might be able to design that are DSP related? (Or even communications related, if you can think of something really cool) I thought about designing some audio filters or something like that (I had the idea of using one person's voice as a reference in order to filter another person's voice and make it sound like the first person.. but I have a feeling this would be extremely difficult. LOL) I just wanted to know what others thought.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
FFT spectrum analyzer might be an interesting project.

heres a good one...for audio...

normally we 'hear' over the range 20 to 20kHz when young and as we grow older, the higher frequency responses fall off.
A similar thing occurs with partial deafness...the person only hears a part of the spectrum...
in medicine, a chochlear implant is implanted to relay converted sound to the nerves that is responsible for carrying the signals to the brain...a dsp processor is at the heart of it...

instead of making one for implant or making a hearing aid just to boost volume...
how about making one that will shift/ compress frequencies so that a user could have it adjusted to suit their hearing disability...

eg. older people have problems hearing clearly what young children are saying but if they could have the information compressed down to the range that they can 'hear' in, it would be easier...

how about that?

did you just post this to comp.dsp?

if not, you should. if so, were the suggestions there useless?

rbj said:
did you just post this to comp.dsp?

Yes, I did.

if not, you should. if so, were the suggestions there useless?

No, some were actually quite good. Thanks for your suggestion over there, btw. :)

Last edited:
deakie said:
heres a good one...for audio...

normally we 'hear' over the range 20 to 20kHz when young and as we grow older, the higher frequency responses fall off.
A similar thing occurs with partial deafness...the person only hears a part of the spectrum...
in medicine, a chochlear implant is implanted to relay converted sound to the nerves that is responsible for carrying the signals to the brain...a dsp processor is at the heart of it...

instead of making one for implant or making a hearing aid just to boost volume...
how about making one that will shift/ compress frequencies so that a user could have it adjusted to suit their hearing disability...

eg. older people have problems hearing clearly what young children are saying but if they could have the information compressed down to the range that they can 'hear' in, it would be easier...

how about that?

I like this. So, you are suggesting shifting down higher frequency components so older people can hear the high range stuff? I wonder if there are hearing aids that do this? If not, I wonder why not. It should be pretty easy.

Thanks for the suggestion!

What are some design ideas for undergrad projects in DSP?

1. Digital Signal Processing using FPGAs: This project involves designing and implementing DSP algorithms on Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) for real-time signal processing applications.

2. Voice Recognition System: This project focuses on designing a system that can recognize and process human speech using DSP techniques, such as filtering, feature extraction, and classification.

3. Biomedical Signal Processing: This project involves processing and analyzing signals from biomedical sensors, such as electrocardiograms (ECG) or electroencephalograms (EEG), to extract meaningful information for medical diagnosis or monitoring.

4. Audio Equalizer: This project involves designing and implementing an audio equalizer using DSP techniques to adjust the frequency response of an audio signal, allowing for customization of the sound output.

5. Image Processing: This project focuses on applying DSP techniques to process and analyze digital images, such as filtering, noise reduction, and feature extraction, for various applications such as medical imaging or image enhancement.