Essential Supremum Problem: Measurable Positive Functions

• Thread starter johnson123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supremum
In summary, an example of a sequence of measurable positive functions on (0,1) where the limit of the norm is smaller than the norm of the limit for n approaching infinity is the sequence f_n = I_(0,1/n) or f_n = I_(1-1/n, 1) for n > 1.
johnson123
Problem: Show an example of a sequence of measurable positive functions on (0,1) so that
[tex]\left\|\underline{lim} f_{n}\right\| < \underline{lim}\left\|f_{n}\right\| for n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

My work: I think its just the indicator function [tex]I_{[n,n+1]}[/tex]

Since [tex]\left\|\underline{lim} I_{[n,n+1]}\right\|= 0 < \underline{lim}\left\|I_{[n,n+1]}\right\| =1 [/tex]

For some reason I do not feel to confident in my answer, so any comments are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
correction

Problem: Show an example of a sequence of measurable positive functions on (0,1) so that
[tex]\left\|\underline{lim} f_{n}\right\|_{\infty} < \underline{lim}\left\|f_{n}\right\|_{\infty} for n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

My work: I think its just the indicator function [tex]I_{[n,n+1]}[/tex]

Since [tex]\left\|\underline{lim} I_{[n,n+1]}\right\|_{\infty}= 0 < \underline{lim}\left\|I_{[n,n+1]}\right\|_{\infty} =1 [/tex]

For some reason I do not feel to confident in my answer, so any comments are welcome.

That's pretty good. But the domain of the indicator functions isn't (0,1). Can you build a very similar example using functions defined only on (0,1)?

Thanks for the response Dick.

If [tex]f_{n}=I_{(\frac{n-1}{n},1)}, then \left\|\underline{lim} I_{(\frac{n-1}{n},1)}\right\|_{\infty}= 0 < \underline{lim}\left\|I_{(\frac{n-1}{n},1)}\right\|_{\infty} =1[/tex]

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sure. That's fine. I was thinking of I_(0,1/n), but you can put stuff on the other side of the interval as well.

1. What is the Essential Supremum Problem?

The Essential Supremum Problem (ESP) is a mathematical concept that involves finding the smallest possible upper bound for a set of measurable positive functions. This problem is often studied in the field of measure theory and has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as functional analysis and probability theory.

2. How is the Essential Supremum Problem solved?

The solution to the Essential Supremum Problem involves finding the essential supremum of a set of measurable positive functions. This is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the functions in the set, almost everywhere. The essential supremum can be found using techniques from measure theory, such as the Vitali covering theorem and the Lebesgue differentiation theorem.

3. What are measurable positive functions?

Measurable positive functions are functions that have a non-negative output and can be measured using a measure function. In other words, the values of these functions can be assigned a numerical value, and the sets of points where the function takes on this value can be measured. These functions are commonly used in measure theory to study the properties of sets and functions.

4. What are some applications of the Essential Supremum Problem?

The Essential Supremum Problem has many applications in mathematics, including functional analysis, probability theory, and harmonic analysis. For example, it is used in the study of Banach spaces to define the norm of a function, and in the study of stochastic processes to determine the supremum of a set of random variables.

5. What is the relationship between the Essential Supremum Problem and the Essential Infimum Problem?

The Essential Supremum Problem is closely related to the Essential Infimum Problem (EIP). While the ESP involves finding the smallest upper bound for a set of measurable positive functions, the EIP involves finding the largest lower bound for the same set of functions. In some cases, the solution to one problem can be used to find the solution to the other.