Find the speed of the bucket

• Thread starter 0338jw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, a bucket of mass 2.00kg is whirled in a vertical circle of radius 1.10 m. At the lowest point, the tension in the rope is 25.0 N. To find the speed of the bucket, you can use the equation F=ma to calculate the net force in the Y direction. Plugging this net force into F=mv²/r will give you the centripetal acceleration, which is 2.7 m/s². To find the speed at the top of the circle, you can use the equation F=mv²/r again, but this time the tension will be 0 since the bucket is at the top and not being supported by the rope. Sol
0338jw

Homework Statement

A bucket of mass 2.00kg is whirled in a vertical circle of radius 1.10 m. At the lowest point of its motion the tension in the rope supporting the bucket is 25.0 N. a) Find the speed of the bucket. b) How fast must the bucket move at the top of the circle so that the rope does not go slack?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy= Ft - Fg =m*[tex]a_{c}[/tex]
Ac=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved for the net force in the Y direction and I get 5.4N. Is this the net centripetal force that i can use to plug back into F=m *ac for the centripetal acceleration? I get 2.7m/s when i do this. I know this question has been posted before, and I'm sorry but I don't quite get it after reading and rereading bits and pieces of information by others posted in the forum. all help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
or when solving for speed do I plug the net force back into F=m(v^2/r)? When I do this and solve for the speed I get 1.72m/s. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and which is the correct equation to use.

0338jw said:
I have solved for the net force in the Y direction and I get 5.4N. Is this the net centripetal force that i can use to plug back into F=m *ac for the centripetal acceleration?
Yes.
0338jw said:
or when solving for speed do I plug the net force back into F=m(v^2/r)?
That's the same thing, so I don't see how you got two different answers. Show exactly what you did.

0338jw said:
I get 2.7m/s when i do this.
I see what you did here: You solved for the centripetal acceleration. (That should be 2.7 m/s^2--not m/s.) You need to solve for the speed, which you did in your second post.

Ohh okay! So now I have the acceleration as 2.7 m/s/s and the speed as 1.72 m/s. Does the centripetal acceleration remain the same for when the bucket is at the top of the circle? I know the force of tension is 0 and that the bucket must be swinging fast enough to overcome the weight of the bucket and water to keep it from falling down. I'm not sure how to write this in equations though. the sum of the forces in the Y direction is FT + Fg =m*ac? Again, sorry if I'm not seeing something obvious I'm taking a couple summer classes and we're flying through some important stuff pretty quickly.

0338jw said:
Does the centripetal acceleration remain the same for when the bucket is at the top of the circle?
No.
I know the force of tension is 0 and that the bucket must be swinging fast enough to overcome the weight of the bucket and water to keep it from falling down. I'm not sure how to write this in equations though. the sum of the forces in the Y direction is FT + Fg =m*ac?
Right! You solve it exactly like you solved the first part.

Wait, centripetal acceleration is v^2/r. At the top of the circle neither v nor r change. Its circular motion.

Fanaticus said:
Wait, centripetal acceleration is v^2/r. At the top of the circle neither v nor r change. Its circular motion.
The speed changes. (Don't confuse this with uniform circular motion, where the speed stays constant.)

thank you for the help! When I solved for velocity I got 3.28 m/s. It should be right, but I'm still not very confident in my work yet. Again, thanks for the help!

0338jw said:
When I solved for velocity I got 3.28 m/s.
Sounds good to me!

1. What is the purpose of finding the speed of the bucket?

The purpose of finding the speed of the bucket is to determine how quickly the bucket is moving. This information can be useful in various scientific experiments and calculations.

2. How do you measure the speed of the bucket?

The speed of the bucket can be measured by using a stopwatch to time how long it takes the bucket to travel a certain distance. This distance can be marked on the bucket or the ground to ensure accurate measurement.

3. What factors can affect the speed of the bucket?

The speed of the bucket can be affected by various factors including the weight of the bucket, the angle at which it is being pulled, and any external forces acting on the bucket such as wind or friction.

4. Can the speed of the bucket change during its motion?

Yes, the speed of the bucket can change during its motion. This can happen if the pulling force changes, or if there are changes in the factors mentioned before that affect the speed of the bucket.

5. How is the speed of the bucket related to its acceleration?

The speed of the bucket is directly related to its acceleration. If the bucket is accelerating, its speed will increase, and if it is decelerating, its speed will decrease. This relationship is described by the equation speed = acceleration x time.