What Are the Characteristics of Au-Fe Spin Glass?

In summary, "Au doped with Fe Spin Glass" is a material composed of gold and iron atoms that produces a disordered magnetic state known as a spin glass. Its properties include a low magnetic ordering temperature, slow relaxation of magnetic moments, and glassy behavior. Potential applications include data storage, sensors, and actuators. The material is synthesized using a co-evaporation technique and current research developments focus on understanding its properties and exploring potential applications.
Rasine
Hello everyone,

I am an undergratude student doing to research and I am making dirty Au films. At certian concentrations of Fe (say >.5%) this Au-Fe is showing charateristics of a sping glass. I am attempting to learn what exactly a spin glass is and what its trends look like (resistance vs. temp. mainly).

The literature that I have found is eithere too technical or to vague for my understanding. Can anyone suggest intoduction literature or can explain this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: M. B. Weissman, Rev. Mod. Phys. 65, 829 (1993)

Hello,

Au doped with Fe spin glass is a very interesting material and has been widely studied in the field of materials science. A spin glass is a type of magnetic material where the magnetic moments of the atoms are randomly oriented, leading to a disordered and frustrated magnetic state. This results in a complex and unique behavior of the material, which is reflected in its electrical and magnetic properties.

In your research, you have observed the formation of a spin glass in your Au-Fe films when the concentration of Fe is above 0.5%. This is a significant finding and could potentially lead to new applications for this material.

To understand the behavior of spin glasses, it is important to study their temperature-dependent properties, such as resistance. This is because the magnetic moments in a spin glass can be influenced by changes in temperature, leading to changes in its electrical properties. Typically, spin glasses exhibit a gradual decrease in resistance as the temperature is lowered, followed by a sharp drop at a critical temperature, known as the spin glass transition temperature.

I would recommend starting with some introductory literature on spin glasses, such as "Introduction to Spin Glasses" by A.P. Young or "Spin Glasses: A Challenge for Mathematicians" by M. Mézard. These books provide a good overview of the subject and can help you understand the trends in resistance vs. temperature for spin glasses.

I hope this helps in your research and I wish you the best of luck in your studies. Keep exploring and learning about this fascinating material!

What is "Au doped with Fe Spin Glass"?

"Au doped with Fe Spin Glass" refers to a material composed of gold (Au) atoms that have been doped, or mixed, with iron (Fe) atoms in order to create a spin glass. A spin glass is a type of magnetic material that exhibits a disordered magnetic state, meaning that the magnetic moments of the atoms do not align in a regular pattern.

What are the properties of "Au doped with Fe Spin Glass"?

The properties of "Au doped with Fe Spin Glass" include a disordered magnetic state, low magnetic ordering temperature, and a slow relaxation of magnetic moments. It also exhibits a glassy behavior, meaning that it has no long-range order and behaves like a liquid at low temperatures.

What is the application of "Au doped with Fe Spin Glass"?

"Au doped with Fe Spin Glass" has potential applications in data storage, as its disordered magnetic state allows for more data to be stored in a smaller space. It can also be used in sensors and actuators due to its sensitivity to external magnetic fields.

How is "Au doped with Fe Spin Glass" synthesized?

"Au doped with Fe Spin Glass" is typically synthesized using a co-evaporation technique, where gold and iron are simultaneously evaporated onto a substrate under controlled conditions. This allows for the formation of a thin film of the desired composition.

What are the current research developments in "Au doped with Fe Spin Glass"?

Current research developments in "Au doped with Fe Spin Glass" focus on understanding its magnetic and electronic properties, as well as exploring potential applications in spintronics and quantum computing. There is also ongoing research on improving the synthesis methods and optimizing the material's properties for different applications.