Conversion of root mean square or interval velocity into average

In summary, the conversation is about finding the relationship between two-way time, root mean square velocity, and interval velocity in order to determine the average velocity needed for depth conversion. The speaker provides data at a specific CDP and mentions using the DIX equation for conversion. They also mention a helpful link for further information on the topic.
taimur
I really ain't sure whether my problem is mathematical or related to Physics but i most probably think it has a mathematical solution.

I am have a situation where I have subsurface seismic velocity windows at certain Depth points. In the window I have been given the two-way time in seconds and root mean square velocity (Vrms). I have used the DIX equation to convert Vrms into interval velocity (Vint) but i need average velocity for depth conversion i.e time into depth.

I am giving you the data at a particular CDP. Please tell me the relationship that can be made between the given quantities to find the required (average velocity).

time----Vrms----Vint
0-----1500----1940
0.31----1940----2058
0.62----2000----2510
0.85----2150----3821
0.97----2420----3312
1.15----2580----5403
1.23----2850----4399
1.35----3020----4353
1.96----3490----5286
2.57----3990----5403
5------4730

Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What is the difference between root mean square (RMS) velocity and average velocity?

The RMS velocity is a measure of the overall speed of a system, taking into account both positive and negative values. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared velocities divided by the number of values. The average velocity, on the other hand, is simply the arithmetic mean of all the velocities, regardless of their direction.

2. How do you convert RMS velocity into average velocity?

The conversion from RMS velocity to average velocity depends on the type of system. For a system with a constant velocity, the average velocity will be equal to the RMS velocity. However, for a system with constantly changing velocities, the conversion involves taking the square root of 2 multiplied by the RMS velocity.

3. What is the significance of converting RMS velocity into average velocity?

Converting RMS velocity into average velocity allows us to simplify the calculation of the overall speed of a system. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. In addition, the average velocity can give us a better understanding of the general trend or direction of a system's movement.

4. Can you convert average velocity into RMS velocity?

Yes, it is possible to convert average velocity into RMS velocity by using the same formula but in reverse. This means multiplying the average velocity by the square root of the number of values and then taking the square root of the result. However, this conversion is not as commonly used as converting RMS velocity into average velocity.

5. Is there a standard unit for RMS velocity and average velocity?

Both RMS velocity and average velocity use the same units as the individual velocities being measured. For example, if the individual velocities are measured in meters per second, then the RMS velocity and average velocity will also be in meters per second. It is important to ensure that all the velocities used in the calculation have the same units for accurate conversion.