The Decreasing White Majority in the US

• Thread starter BlackVision
  • Start date
  • Tags
    decreasing
In summary, the US population by race is as follows: white, 82.9%; Hispanic, 5.2%; black, 11.1%; Asian, 0.7%. The projections for 2050 show that the white population will be 53%; Hispanic will be 22%; and black will be 15%.
BlackVision said:
You constantly fail to get the point what can I say.

The Census Bureau is not run by a bunch of naive simpletons. Everything is certainly taken into consideration. Statistics such as these are weighed to a degree to compensate for the scenarios you've described.

Sampling was not used for the 2000 census. This was a huge issue, but apparently, since you were not a member of the bureau at the time, you didn't know this. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Since when was I stating that it was your point?

I brought up the point, didn't I?

Sure. Doesn't mean you will be correct however.

Well then, I will speculate that you are a mindless robot that posts threads for absolutely no reason. Sounds logical.

Physics news on Phys.org
loseyourname said:
Sampling was not used for the 2000 census. This was a huge issue, but apparently, since you were not a member of the bureau at the time, you didn't know this. You'll just have to take my word for it.
If you dig through the Census Bureau enough, you will see statistics that show both weighed results and unweighed results.

I brought up the point, didn't I?
"Every individual had full opportunity to disclose more than one race. That is the point."--BlackVision

Huh? What? I could of sworn that I stated that and that it was my point.

Well then, I will speculate that you are a mindless robot that posts threads for absolutely no reason. Sounds logical.
You are one that likes to limit freedom on topics that you personally do not like or feel comfortable with. That sounds more logical.

Statistical reliability only applies to data sets

loseyourname said:
I will again point out that the statistics were not reliably gathered, at least not in the LA area.
Statistical reliability can be established for data sets, but reliability of gathering of data is statistically nonsensical.

BlackVision said:
Concerned? How? I do not have a fixation of race. I do however consider it an important field to study. Regardless of how taboo some people want to make it. Some people just go hostile of any sort of racial study regardless of how important or relevant it is.

as i said before, it is not an issue until you make it one, which i clearly see you doing here. children, for example, will play with anyone, regardless of nationality, race or even gender. once an adult teaches them a difference, then they begin to recognize it as a difference.

hitssquad said:
Statistical reliability can be established for data sets, but reliability of gathering of data is statistically nonsensical.

A lot of Hispanic households were passed up because of language barriers and many simply refused to fill out the forms because they either didn't understand them or didn't like the way the questions were asked. This was definitely the case, at least in the LA area, with Hispanics more than with any other ethnic group. Also, I know of at least several districts where there is a good chance that large Asian populations were over-reported because of duplicate questionnaires. Again, I can only imagine that other large metro areas had similar problems. The gathering process is done about as well as it can be, but it isn't perfect.

I will again stress that the bureau did not use any sampling methods. The official statistics are exactly what were gathered and so are not an accurate reflection of reality. Groups that do not speak English as well as homeless people were vastly undercounted.

BlackVision said:
"Every individual had full opportunity to disclose more than one race. That is the point."--BlackVision

Huh? What? I could of sworn that I stated that and that it was my point.

Sure, you said that after I brought up my point that you were wrong to say (as you originally did) that there was an option marked "two or more races." It's a very minor point that isn't all that important. As you seem to be drilling home for whatever reason well after you have been agreed with, it is only a matter of wording. I just wanted to make sure that the wording was clear. Since it has been for about the last two pages and we have been in agreement that entire time, why do you continue to harp on it? Do you have some kind of persecution complex that makes you believe I'm out to prove you wrong even when I have agreed with you?

BlackVision said:
You are one that likes to limit freedom on topics that you personally do not like or feel comfortable with. That sounds more logical.

Are you completely insane? Do you see "PF Mentor" beneath my name? When have I ever made any attempt to limit what can or cannot be said pertaining to a given topic? And what makes you think I am uncomfortable with this topic? I happen to be multiracial myself, and almost a quarter Hispanic. To be honest, I'm glad this is happening and I hope the projections are correct. I'm a huge proponent of interracial mixing. I am also a huge proponent of trying to depict reality accurately and pointing out when given statistics might not be such a reflection. This really isn't a major point. Just add a couple percentage points to the black and Hispanic populations (especially the Hispanic population) and you've probably got it about right. The numbers are certainly in the ballpark.

Last edited:
Kerrie said:
as i said before, it is not an issue until you make it one, which i clearly see you doing here. children, for example, will play with anyone, regardless of nationality, race or even gender. once an adult teaches them a difference, then they begin to recognize it as a difference.
Children are naive for one thing so this isn't the best example. There's quite a lot of things children do that they grow out of. As far as races, children recognize differences on their own as they get older. They do not need assistance from adults.

Race is an issue because there are differences. Not simply on the way you look but also the cultures and the way you think. The OJ Simpson trial. There is a perfect example in the clashing of races. And affirmative action certainly has made race more of an issue than it ever was before.

I have not made something an issue that wasn't already one to begin with.

Last edited:
BlackVision said:
Children are naive for one thing so this isn't the best example. There's quite a lot of things children do that they grow out of. As far as races, children recognize differences on their own as they get older. They do not need assistance from adults.

Race is an issue because there are differences. Not simply on the way you look but also the cultures and the way you think. The OJ Simpson trial. There is a perfect example in the clashing of races. And affirmative action certainly has made race more of an issue than it ever was before.

affirmative action is worthless. children do not see color because they are not taught to view it as different, i have two children myself and their friends are of many different nationalities. skin color shouldn't be looked at any different then eye color. as far as making an issue of something that already is, i can make many issues about the inequalities of being female-especially working with "the good ol' boys" (farmers and mechanics), but i don't. instead, i prove myself by being the best person i can. afterall, underneath skin colors and skin differences, we are just human beings.

BlackVision said:

So it's sociological, not biological - group membership, perceptions of difference, etc.

BlackVision said:
The blending of all ethnic groups is a future possibility. However it would not be likely in this century. As of now, interracial mating is still fairly low. It has grown somewhat compared to the past but it is still relatively low. Most people seem to still marry within their ethnicity.

I would figure such an scenario would be similar to the Spaniard, Native American, African blending that has already occurred to Latin America.
(my emphasis) Evidence?

There was a recent Scientific American with data on mixed marriages. IIRC, the rates are (all?) rising, and some (Native American?) already >1 (N mixed marriages/N within-group marriages).

You might like to do some quick calculations; assume a two-group population, a modest out-group/in-group birth rate ratio, and the existence of a nascent third group, which becomes visible only when it reaches some threshold (also assume only a majority of the out-group progeny will declare membership of the third group). I think you'll find two generations are more than enough for some big 'surface' changes.

Data on mixed marriages

Nereid said:
There was a recent Scientific American with data on mixed marriages.
http://www.sciamdigital.com/browse.cfm?sequencenameCHAR=item2&methodnameCHAR=resource_getitembrowse&interfacenameCHAR=browse.cfm&ISSUEID_CHAR=8DB13CA8-2B35-221B-68BBB19319B01718&ARTICLEID_CHAR=8DBDFA60-2B35-221B-603079FAC5944755&sc=I100322; October 2003; by Rodger Doyle; 1 page.

IIRC, the rates are (all?) rising
"Beginning sometime after World War II, blackwhite marriages rose once again, but so slowly that by 2002, they accounted for only 0.7 percent of all marriages." Ibid.

and some (Native American?) already >1 (N mixed marriages/N within-group marriages).
Almost twice as many Pre-Wurm Mongoloid Immigrants (PWMI; there are no humans native to the Americas) marry whites as marry other PWMI's.

• NATIVE AMERICAN-WHITE MARRIAGES

Per 100 white-white marriages: 1.2

Per 100 Native American-Native American marriages: 195.4
Ibid.

So black-white marriages are 0.7% of all marriages. I had been using 0.5%, so I wasn't too far out. I concluded from this that the "black" and "white" populations in the US are for practical puposes reproductively isolated.

hitssquad said:
"Beginning sometime after World War II, blackwhite marriages rose once again, but so slowly that by 2002, they accounted for only 0.7 percent of all marriages." Ibid.
What are the actual numbers (black-non-black marriages per 100 black-black marriages), both today and in the 1950s?
Almost twice as many Pre-Wurm Mongoloid Immigrants (PWMI; there are no humans native to the Americas) marry whites as marry other PWMI's.

• NATIVE AMERICAN-WHITE MARRIAGES

Per 100 white-white marriages: 1.2

Per 100 Native American-Native American marriages: 195.4
Ibid.
Don't you mean "people who self-identified as 'Native American' and 'White' in the respective Censuses"?

Does anyone have any sources from the 1950s of what they were projecting the composition of the population would be in 2000? I tried a google search to see if anyone had any historical data up on the web, but didn't have any success. It might help to determine how accurate a 50 year projection would be if we could see how well a 1950s projection for 2000 lined up with the actual data. It just seems that it's silly making a big fuss about a projection for 2050 when so many social and political changes could shift the composition of the population. What does it really mean anyway?

A more interesting projection, though not really from the perspective of social sciences as from the perspective of politics, is the shift toward an older population. That's going to put some big stresses on things like social security and medicare programs, so at least there I see some reason to want to predict now what will happen in 50 years so those programs are ready to handle it. If the Hispanic population has grown into more of a majority by 2050, is that going to change anything we're doing that we'll need to start preparing? Maybe including more Spanish lessons as part of the school curriculum? But then, I don't even know if the Hispanic population in those numbers are likely to be recent immigrants, or second, third, fourth, fifth generation...without knowing that, I don't know if we're talking about a shift to a predominantly Spanish speaking population, or just a shift for the cosmetic industry to provide more products for a wider range of skin tones as there is more blending of races into the intermediate skin tones. Otherwise, I don't see anything of significance to that information unless you're someone planning on running for political office and need to know you shouldn't alienate the Hispanic voters.

BlackVision,

What personal hardship has ever been imposed upon you by the US government that approaches slavery of your ancesters?

Others "pale" in comparison.

selfAdjoint said:
So black-white marriages are 0.7% of all marriages. I had been using 0.5%, so I wasn't too far out. I concluded from this that the "black" and "white" populations in the US are for practical puposes reproductively isolated.
Without the black-non/black marriages per 100 black/black marriages ratio, and how it's changing, you can't really conclude anything from '0.7% of all marriages'. For greater precision, you really need to know the numbers of children born with just one black parent vs those with two (and similarly for whites) ... for example, children with a white father and black mother (and whose parents weren't married to each other).

Then there's the question of identity; since the terms 'black' and 'white' are based on self-identification (not genetics), which identity the children of a mixed marriage take matters a lot if you extrapolate beyond just two generations.

Almost no self-identified black in the US is anywhere near 100% African-American. A great deal of the original freed population was the product of mixes between a slave girl and her white owner.

Nereid said:
So it's sociological, not biological - group membership, perceptions of difference, etc.
Races are both social and biological.

Loren Booda said:
BlackVision,

What personal hardship has ever been imposed upon you by the US government that approaches slavery of your ancesters?

Others "pale" in comparison.
Huh? I fail to see the relevance of this question to the current discussions that have been occurring.

loseyourname said:
Almost no self-identified black in the US is anywhere near 100% African-American. A great deal of the original freed population was the product of mixes between a slave girl and her white owner.
The average American black is approximately 20% white in origin. Even with this sizable mixing, it seems as though American blacks are still considered blacks.

This is similar to the fact that most Arabs have African mixing but are predominately Caucasian in origin and so would still be labeled as part of the Caucasian race.

Nereid said:
Without the black-non/black marriages per 100 black/black marriages ratio, and how it's changing, you can't really conclude anything from '0.7% of all marriages'.
Sure you can. With the Census figures, blacks make up 12.3% of the US population and Non Hispanic Whites make up 69.1%. So that means there is a 18 to 1 ratio from black population to black/white marriage. And a 99 to 1 ratio from white population to black/white marriage. White/black marriage is indeed a rarity.

BlackVision said:
BlackVision said:

Nereid said:
Races are both social and biological.
The sociological dimension is clear; the existence of 'biological' races for homo sap. is under discussion in another thread (and controversial, to say the least). The point of the question is which dimension is pertinent to this thread?

To me it's pretty simple: the US Census Bureau defines 'race' in terms of self-identification (with some very clear disclaimers re interpreting the stats), the projections are done on this basis, so the sociological dimension is the only relevant one.

Last edited:
Nereid said:
The sociological dimension is clear; the existence of 'biological' races for homo sap. is under discussion in another thread (and controversial, to say the least). The point of the question is which dimension is pertinent to this thread?

To me it's pretty simple: the US Census Bureau defines 'race' in terms of self-identification (with some very clear disclaimers re interpreting the stats), the projections are done on this basis, so the sociological dimension is the only relevant one.

It is made clear both on the form and by the enumerator that a respondent can choose whatever race he/she most identifies with.

BlackVision said:
Sure you can. With the Census figures, blacks make up 12.3% of the US population and Non Hispanic Whites make up 69.1%. So that means there is a 18 to 1 ratio from black population to black/white marriage. And a 99 to 1 ratio from white population to black/white marriage. White/black marriage is indeed a rarity.
You might want to re-check your arithmetic*; I found the October 2003 Scientific American article, and it gives the following for 'black-white marriages per 100 black-black marriages': 8.1.

Q: if everything were otherwise equal across groups (fertility, age of mother at births of her children, survival, births per marriage, etc), and if all children of black-white 'marriages' were classed as black (and the only two population groups were black and white), how many generations would be needed before a population, initially 80% white and 20% black, became 80% black and 20% white? Assume 'black-white marriages per 100 black-black marriages' = 10. What other assumptions do you need (if any) to make to work this out?

I found it interesting that hitssquad's choice of words and data from the article to post were, shall we say, interesting.

Here is the final para of that article (Rodger Doyle, Scientific American, October 2003, p19):

"Official statistics on race are becoming increasingly meaningless. According to one estimate, up to 70% of Americans classified as black have a white ancestor; another estimate finds that as many as 21% of whites have African blood**. When the husband is white and the wife Japanese, three quarters of the children are labeled white. If, by some miracle of genetic testing, the U.S. Census Bureau could establish the ancestry of every American, it would be apparent that the U.S. is much further down the road to a mixed-race society than most would imagine."

*actually, it's not your arithmetic that's wrong, but the assumptions you used to make the calculations; now that you know the 'right' answers, would you like to explain to us all the reasons why your method gave the wrong answer?

**odd expression; I'd have thought we *all* have 'African blood' :wink:

Last edited:
BlackVision said:
The average American black is approximately 20% white in origin. Even with this sizable mixing, it seems as though American blacks are still considered blacks.

This is similar to the fact that most Arabs have African mixing but are predominately Caucasian in origin and so would still be labeled as part of the Caucasian race.

"Considered" meaning how they are viewed socially. Biologically, they are multiracial.

loseyourname said:
Biologically, they are multiracial.

i think this is true for many people-regardless of what color their skin appears. this is why i ask, why make an issue of it? america is a melting pot, and it gets more and more mixed with every generation. perhaps in another generation, there will be no need to identify who is what race because everyone will be a little of everything. who knows, maybe america will have its own race someday! :rofl:

I don't believe an effort should be made to prevent Whites from going extinct because I consider Whites to be intellectually mediocre, very superstitious, and emotionally unbalanced. This is not meant to be an insult, rather, it is my honest assessment based on what I have studied on differential racial psychology. As such, I consider the coming extinction of Whites as upwards evolutionary process.

Physicist5 said:
I don't believe an effort should be made to prevent Whites from going extinct because I consider Whites to be intellectually mediocre, very superstitious, and emotionally unbalanced. This is not meant to be an insult, rather, it is my honest assessment based on what I have studied on differential racial psychology. As such, I consider the coming extinction of Whites as upwards evolutionary process.
Now you see what Physicist5 just did? Let's say hypothetically in physicist's comment, he replaced the word "whites" with any other race. Be it black, be it asian, be it native american. What do you think would of happened? There would have been 50 posts in the same day denouncing him as a racist. But since it's a negative statement toward whites, it's considered ok. Modern society deems it acceptable to be racist. As long as it's against whites and only whites.

But to address your comment. The Caucasian race certainly have been the most superior in terms of advancement and technology. Certainly so in the past 400 years. With pretty much the remaining advancements coming out of Asia. That would be the honest assessment. The Caucasian race isn't going extinct so not sure where that came out of. But you would consider the extinction of the group that contributed the most in terms of technological advancements and civilizations as a "upwards evolutionary process"?

Last edited:
BlackVision said:
Now you see what Physicist5 just did? Let's say hypothetically in physicist's comment, he replaced the word "whites" with any other race. Be it black, be it asian, be it native american. What do you think would of happened? There would have been 50 posts in the same day denouncing him as a racist. But since it's a negative statement toward whites, it's considered ok. Modern society deems it acceptable to be racist. As long as it's against whites and only whites.

And why is this so? Is it because, as I have said, Whites are emotionally unbalanced and thus lack in survival instincts? It so, then why not let natural selection take its course and just let Whites go the way of the Dodo.

But to address your comment. The Caucasian race certainly have been the most superior in terms of advancement and technology. Certainly so in the past 400 years.

No. Rather, less than one percent of the White race invented everything, while the remaining 99% did absolutely nothing. Thus, it is completely statistically inaccurate to say Whites are superior, when in fact, only one percent of Whites are superior, while the rest are useless. Perhaps you should be pushing for the preservation and reproductive proliferation of only this one percent of Whites, and not the average Joe, who are only capable of drinking beer while yelling at the sports channel.

The Caucasian race isn't going extinct so not sure where that came out of.

There is below replacement birthrates for Whites everywhere except in America where Whites are growing, and not the higher quality Whites, but the White welfare class as well as religious fundamentalist Whites like the Mormans. High IQ rational Whites are decreasing in America though. So overall, not only is there a drop in the absolute White population globally, but there is dysgenics as well: http://www.eugenics.net/papers/lynnrev.html

But you would consider the extinction of the group that contributed the most in terms of technological advancements and civilizations as a "upwards evolutionary process"?

Again, Whites did nothing, except for that one percent. Hell, why even call that one percent "White?" They are so genetically unique that I see no reason to even call them Whites.

I hope none of my tax dollars when toward your education, if so, that money has been pissed away. I think your problem has more to do with your own inadequacies, then those of the white man.

As I see it, white's are still by far the single largest population.

Yes, at least in America. A world census was done in 1995 by the U.N. Of course, such large studies must be done on approximations. Nevertheless, the U.N. estimates that non-Semetic white people (that is, people of Northern European stock a la "White people") comprise only about 8-10% of the world's population and is decling very fast. Like in ancient Rome, America, and most of Europe are not "America" or "Europe" anymore, but rather "New Turkey" or "New India" or "New Mexico."

White folks simply don't have children. And this dysgenic trend seems to follow a conspicuous pattern: the most intelligent whites seem to be the least likely to reproduce. I can think of numerous women I know in their mid thirties who are very attractive, hold advanced degrees, and are very successful (thus high IQ's) who have not had children and probably never will. This trend is very common, and has always been common throughout the civilized western world (see Rome and Hellenic Greece). The only difference now is that America and Europe and Australia don't have hordes of Vandals, Lombards, and Visigoths at the gates waiting to suceed the white power structure and carry on the culture. We have hordes alright, but they aren't white like in the past.

As Spengler said, you have the becoming and the become, the cultured and the civilized. Cilivilization is an inevitable result of culture -- Apollynian and Dionysian. Civilization is the last stop before decay, before death. We are civilized. The west is dying figuratively and literally.

Death to the overman, all hail the tan everyman.

Thus quote the master, nevermore.

Last edited:
..Whites..
What's up with capitilizing someone's skin color? There is no such thing as a white race.

don't believe an effort should be made to prevent Whites from going extinct because I consider Whites to be intellectually mediocre, very superstitious, and emotionally unbalanced. This is not meant to be an insult, rather, it is my honest assessment based on what I have studied on differential racial psychology. As such, I consider the coming extinction of Whites as upwards evolutionary process.

Hmm. Does Aristotle, Plato, Democritus, Sophocles, Anaximander, Virgil, Homer, Anselm, Descartes, Pascal, Newton, Leibniz, Locke, Hume, Berkeley, Mozart, Beethoven, Hegel, Kant, Nietzsche, Heisenberg, Schrodinger, Oberth, Hawking ring a bell? Just to name a few. Intellectually mediocre? I assume its all relative, my dear Grossman.

very superstitious

I suppose we left out the Amerinds and Aboriginees in this rumination eh?

This is not meant to be an insult, rather, it is my honest assessment based on what I have studied on differential racial psychology.

What have you studied? That East Asians have a 3 point higher IQ on average than whites? This hardly compensates for the extraordinary discrepancy in caucasian and non-caucasian universal geniuses as noted above. Whites submerge any and every other race when it comes to creative genius. Not an opinion but an axiom.

Monique said:
What's up with capitilizing someone's skin color? There is no such thing as a white race.
Sure there is. And race is certainly far more than skin deep.

Tasthius said:
What have you studied? That East Asians have a 3 point higher IQ on average than whites? This hardly compensates for the extraordinary discrepancy in caucasian and non-caucasian universal geniuses as noted above. Whites submerge any and every other race when it comes to creative genius. Not an opinion but an axiom.
Now this comment is incorrect. How are you defining "universal genius" here. It seems you're picking off names from white history books. Study asian history a bit and you will run into quite a lot of names of "universal geniuses" Also keep in mind that the person with the highest adult IQ alive today is Korean.

You must also remember that for much of the Middle Ages, East Asians were AHEAD of Europeans in technology and development. Simply because whites pulled ahead 400 years ago does not mean they "submerge" every race.

China was considered the most advanced civilization for hundreds of years. It certainly took creative geniuses to build such an empire. They did invent paper, compass, gunpower, among other things. All the way up to about the 18th century, China was certainly up to par with Europe. Internal conflicts and problems lead to the collapse of the Chinese empire. Further problems in the 20th century after the rule of communism. Although at the moment they are moving out of poverty with an incredible 10% annual GDP growth rate. China is expected to be a superpower within 50 years. Possibly 25 years. Many analysts expect China to become more powerful than either the US or the European Union.

Korea was having their own problems of constant invasion of both China and Japan. That peninsula has been invaded about 10,000 times. When you're busy trying to constantly fight out invaders, I assure you playing the piano like Mozart is the last thing you're worried about.

And so Japan with the only real chance to develop did so. The advancements of technology of Japan today is certainly the envy of the rest of the world. When the words "technological country" is stated, the first country on most people's mind would be Japan.

Also you must remember that while Jews make up only 2% of the US population and 0.25% of the world population, they have won 25% of Nobel Prizes. 60% of Yale is Jewish. The odds of a person of Jewish descent is certainly about a 100 times more likely to win a Nobel Prize than any another person of White descent. If anything Jews would "submerge" any other race and/or group in creative genius. That 15 IQ points higher than Caucasians does have weight.

But I'll try it your way. If "whites" submerge every other race in geniuses, why do whites score lower than both asians and jews on academic tests? Why do both asians and jews have higher rates of college degrees than whites? Why are whites significantly less likely to win a Nobel Prize than jews? Why have the mathematical abilities of asian countries been considered unrivaled compared to the Western World?

Last edited:
BlackVision said:
Sure there is. And race is certainly far more than skin deep.
The world is not black/white so no there aren't. Generalizations like this really do not describe reality. Rather than talking about 'whites', specify whether you're talking about someone living in a trailor park in South Dakota (random pick) or someone studying economics in Harvard. Or specify whether you're talking about an untouchable along the Ganges or an academic in the University of Bombay.