Built-In Server-to-Server Connectability (?)

• Thread starter sysreset
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion is about connecting to a remote destination server with a fixed IP address using an intermediary server. The solution mentioned is to set up an intermediary server with a fixed IP address that allows for connection from any IP address and instructing the intermediary server to call the destination server with the user's username and password. Suggestions are made to use ssh for stronger security and the built-in functionality of ssh port forwarding. The use of passwords or shared keys for encryption is also discussed. It is mentioned that both the intermediary and destination servers are SSL, and it is questioned if this would affect the ssh encryption.
sysreset
"Built-In" Server-to-Server Connectability (?)

I will try to ask this question coherently.

I am required to connect to a remote destination server from a fixed IP address. However, my computer is mobile and calls from various access points with differing IP addresses. So the solution I have selected is to set up an intermediary server with a fixed IP address that allows me (the client) to connect from any IP address and instruct the intermediary server to call the destination server with my username and password. I am testing this setup using telnet. For example, I transmit "telnet intermediaryserver.com 80" and I am connected to the intermediary server on port 80.

The question is what do I do on the intermediary server? Is there built-in functionality on the server that allows this with commands? Does this function reside in Windows, Linux, or Apache servers?

Computer science news on Phys.org

You could just do telnet again to the final destination.
Although ssh would be safer and would remove the need for the fixed ip (assuming that is for security) ssh has key exchange to ensure your machine is the one the server expects.

You can do ssh port forwarding to allow telnet (or other protoocls) to go tunnel over ssh but look like telnet at the remote end.

Thanks mgb! From my preliminary reading, ssh port forwarding is exactly what I was looking for. (It appears that the ssh client is built into newer versions of linux, so I just need to make sure the web host I choose includes the ssh client, and permissions to access it.)

Does ssh have built-in password protection?

Not sure what you mean by password protection.
You can either enter passwords for each login or use shared keys - either way all the traffic is strongly encrypted. Creating the keys for the first time is a bit tricky if you aren't familiar with the terms but there are lots of tutorials.

Oh, the intermediate server and the destination server are both SSL. Would that mess with the ssh encryptation?

1. What is built-in server-to-server connectability?

Built-in server-to-server connectability refers to the ability of a server to connect and communicate with other servers without the need for additional software or plugins. This allows for seamless data transfer and communication between servers.

2. Why is built-in server-to-server connectability important?

Built-in server-to-server connectability is important because it simplifies the process of data transfer and communication between servers. It eliminates the need for external tools or software, making the process more efficient and secure.

3. How does built-in server-to-server connectability work?

Built-in server-to-server connectability works by utilizing standardized communication protocols, such as HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP. These protocols allow servers to exchange data and communicate with each other in a secure and efficient manner.

4. What are the benefits of using built-in server-to-server connectability?

The main benefits of using built-in server-to-server connectability include improved efficiency, increased security, and reduced costs. With built-in connectability, data transfer and communication between servers can be done quickly and securely without the need for additional tools or software.

5. Is built-in server-to-server connectability the same as API?

No, built-in server-to-server connectability and API (Application Programming Interface) are not the same. While both involve communication between servers, built-in connectability refers to the server's ability to connect and communicate without the need for additional software or tools, while API refers to a set of protocols and tools that allow for communication between different software systems.