What should I do to prepare for IB?

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ib Prepare
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's acceptance into the IB program and their concerns about the difficulty and workload. The student seeks advice on how to prepare for the classes and asks for recommendations on which subjects to focus on. The participants also mention their personal experiences with IB and AP programs.
Imparcticle
Hi!
I have been accepted in the IB program (I will be entering freshman year next year). I am aware we have a multitude of IB or AP students here so I have come to seek advice about what I should do to prepare for the classes that are offered. I have heard they are of immense difficulty, and are accopanied with several loads of homework. Also, I have learned that the grading is very strict.
I must confess I am a little nervous about it. I am sure I will have fun (because I like to study) but I am also sure I will need to improve my abilities in many fields I am sure.
To conclude, I want to ask for your admonishment concerning the fields I should study to be well prepared. Should I focus my studies to logistics, mathematics and the sciences?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the work. Go to class. Think, because its against the county policy.

Well, normally I'd give you my generic stock advice - switch to AP - (I'm slightly biased), but since leaving my high school I've come to find out that IB is actually supposed to be a good program and it just happened that at my school it was essentially a joke. That said, good luck.

IB is no joke. Most who have taken both the AP tests and the IB tests say Ib is harder. The only problem with IB is that it is not recognized as much like AP is.

Good Luck.

1. What is the IB program and how is it different from other high school programs?

The International Baccalaureate (IB) program is an internationally recognized secondary education program that offers a rigorous and comprehensive curriculum for students aged 16-19. It is different from other high school programs because it places a strong emphasis on critical thinking, independent research, and global perspectives. Additionally, students are required to take a wide range of courses, including at least one foreign language, and complete a final extended essay and community service project.

2. How can I choose the right IB subjects to take?

The IB program offers a variety of subjects in six different groups: Studies in Language and Literature, Language Acquisition, Individuals and Societies, Sciences, Mathematics, and The Arts. It is recommended that students choose subjects they are genuinely interested in and have a strong aptitude for. Additionally, it is important to consider the requirements of your desired university or college, as some may have specific subject requirements for admission.

3. Is the IB program suitable for all students?

The IB program is designed for academically motivated and intellectually curious students. It can be challenging and requires a strong commitment to academic excellence. However, the IB program is open to all students, regardless of their previous academic background. It is important to have a positive attitude, good time management skills, and a willingness to learn in order to succeed in the program.

4. How can I prepare for the IB exams?

Preparing for IB exams requires consistent effort and dedication throughout the two-year program. Make sure to attend all classes, complete assignments, and actively participate in discussions. It is also helpful to review notes and create study guides throughout the year. As the exams approach, practice past papers and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed. Remember to also take care of your physical and mental health during this stressful time.

5. What are some tips for successfully completing the IB program?

First and foremost, stay organized and manage your time effectively. This will help you stay on top of assignments and revision. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed, whether it's from teachers, peers, or tutors. Take advantage of the resources and support available to you. Finally, remember to balance your academic work with extracurricular activities and self-care. The IB program is challenging, but with hard work and determination, you can successfully complete it.