I with making some molecular and net ionic equations

In summary, a molecular equation is a chemical equation that shows the complete chemical formulas of all reactants and products, while a net ionic equation only shows the species directly involved in the reaction. Writing net ionic equations helps to focus on the actual chemical reaction and eliminate extraneous information. Spectator ions can be identified by looking for ions that do not undergo any chemical changes. An example of a molecular equation and its corresponding net ionic equation is the reaction between sodium chloride and silver nitrate.
haneyl
1. I need to display the molecular & net ionic equations for the following reactions:

2. NH4NO3 > Na2CO3
NH4NO3 > NaBr
NH4NO3 > Na2SO4
Ba(NO3)2 > NaBr
Ca(NO3)2 > NaBr
Ca(NO3)2 > Na2SO4

3. I don't really have any attempts because I'm completely lost on how to start...

Physics news on Phys.org
haneyl said:
Ba(NO3)2 > NaBr

Do you mean reaction when mixing these two substances, or reaction to convert first to second (not that it sounds likely)?

I understand that writing molecular and net ionic equations can be challenging. However, with a clear understanding of the concepts and some practice, it can become easier. Let me provide you with some guidance on how to approach these reactions.

Firstly, it is important to know the solubility rules for ionic compounds. This will help you determine which compounds will dissociate into ions in water and which ones will remain as molecular compounds.

Now, let's look at the reactions provided.

1. NH4NO3 > Na2CO3

Based on the solubility rules, both NH4NO3 and Na2CO3 are soluble in water. Therefore, they will dissociate into their respective ions.

NH4NO3 (aq) > Na2CO3 (aq)
NH4+ (aq) + NO3- (aq) > 2Na+ (aq) + CO3 2- (aq)

The net ionic equation will only include the species that undergo a chemical change. In this case, the NO3- and Na+ ions remain unchanged, so they will be cancelled out.

Net ionic equation: NH4+ (aq) + CO3 2- (aq) > Na2CO3 (aq)

2. NH4NO3 > NaBr

Similar to the previous reaction, both NH4NO3 and NaBr are soluble in water.

NH4NO3 (aq) > NaBr (aq)
NH4+ (aq) + NO3- (aq) > Na+ (aq) + Br- (aq)

Net ionic equation: NH4+ (aq) + Br- (aq) > NaBr (aq)

3. NH4NO3 > Na2SO4

Again, both NH4NO3 and Na2SO4 are soluble in water.

NH4NO3 (aq) > Na2SO4 (aq)
NH4+ (aq) + NO3- (aq) > 2Na+ (aq) + SO4 2- (aq)

Net ionic equation: NH4+ (aq) + SO4 2- (aq) > Na2SO4 (aq)

4. Ba(NO3)2 > NaBr

Ba(NO3)2 is soluble in water, while NaBr is insoluble. Therefore, only Ba(NO3)2 will dissociate into ions.

Ba(NO3)2 (aq

1. What is a molecular equation?

A molecular equation is a chemical equation that shows the complete chemical formulas of all reactants and products, as if they exist as molecules in the reaction. It does not account for any ionic charges or states of matter.

2. How is a net ionic equation different from a molecular equation?

A net ionic equation is a simplified version of a molecular equation that shows only the species that are directly involved in the chemical reaction. This means that any spectator ions, which do not participate in the reaction, are excluded from the net ionic equation.

3. Why is it important to write net ionic equations?

Writing net ionic equations helps to focus on the actual chemical reaction taking place and eliminates any extraneous information. It also allows for a clearer understanding of the reactants and products involved in the reaction.

4. How do you determine which ions are spectator ions in a net ionic equation?

Spectator ions are those that appear on both the reactant and product side of the equation, but do not undergo any chemical changes. They can be identified by looking for ions that do not change oxidation state or form a precipitate or gas.

5. Can you give an example of a molecular equation and its corresponding net ionic equation?

A molecular equation for the reaction between sodium chloride and silver nitrate would be: NaCl + AgNO3 → AgCl + NaNO3. The net ionic equation for this reaction would be: Na+ + Cl- + Ag+ + NO3- → AgCl + Na+ + NO3- (simplified to remove spectator ions).