Difference between Yield stress and Proportional Limit

In summary, there is a slight difference between the "Proportional Limit stress" and the "Yield Stress" when looking at the stress-strain diagram. However, for most purposes, they can be considered as one. The yield point is easier to locate, but for materials without a well-defined yield point, an offset method is used. The proportional limit is somewhat vaguely defined and is determined by approximation.
Saladsamurai
Is there a difference, when looking at the stress-strain diagram, between the "Proportional Limit stress" and the "Yield Stress" ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I picked up my old "Introduction to mechanics of solids" text by Egor P. Popov and it states the following:
A study of stress-strain diagrams shows that the yield point is so near the proportional limit that for most purposes the two may be taken as one. However, it is much easier to locate the former. For materials which do not possesses a well-defined yield point, one is actually "invented" by the use of the so-call offset method.
Hope this helps a little.

So, looking at this stress-strain curve, would you say that the proportional limit and the upper yield are in distinguishable?

Picture3-7.png

I would say yes but the porportional limit is somewhat vaguely defined.

That's because I defined it. I have no way of telling exactly where the non-linear curve begins... so I just "eyeballed'" it.

1. What is the difference between yield stress and proportional limit?

The yield stress is the point at which a material begins to permanently deform under stress, while the proportional limit is the maximum stress at which the material will behave elastically and return to its original shape when the stress is removed.

2. How are yield stress and proportional limit determined?

Yield stress is typically determined through tensile testing, where the stress is gradually increased until the material begins to deform. Proportional limit is determined by plotting the stress-strain curve and finding the point at which the curve becomes non-linear.

3. Can yield stress be higher than proportional limit?

Yes, it is possible for the yield stress to be higher than the proportional limit. This usually occurs in materials with a large elastic range, where the proportional limit is lower due to the material's ability to withstand stress without permanent deformation.

4. What happens to a material beyond its proportional limit?

Once a material is stressed beyond its proportional limit, it will begin to permanently deform. This means that even when the stress is removed, the material will not return to its original shape.

5. Are yield stress and proportional limit the same for all materials?

No, each material has its own unique yield stress and proportional limit, which are determined by factors such as composition, microstructure, and processing. These properties can also change under different environmental conditions, such as temperature and pressure.