Conceptual Center of Mass acceleration problem

In summary, three identical rectangular blocks on a frictionless surface are subjected to equal and parallel forces. The center of mass for all blocks is located at the center of the rectangle. For block 1, the force is applied halfway between the center of mass and the edge of the rectangle, while for block 3, the force is applied at the far right edge. The direction of the acceleration of the center of mass is the same for all blocks. The magnitudes of the accelerations are also equal, as the net force on each block is the same. However, the distribution of forces on each block will result in different amounts of rotational motion in addition to the linear motion of the center of mass.
bocobuff

Homework Statement

3 identical rectangular blocks on frictionless surface have equal magnitudes of force and in the same direction are exerted on them. The CoM is the same for all the blocks and in the center of the rectangle. For block 1, the force is exerted to the left of the CoM, and halfway to the edge of the rectangle. Block 2, the force is exerted at the CoM and for block 3, the force is exerted on the far right edge of the rectangle. What is the direction of the acceleration of the block's CoM? Rank the magnitudes of CoM accelerations.

The attempt at a solution
I am thinking that block 1 will move cw, block 2 will go straight, and block 3 will go ccw. Also I think the magnitude of Block 3 is greater than blcok 1 because the distance between CoM and where the force is applied for block 1 is half that of block 3.

I can envision the whole movement but I can't think about the direction of the CoM. Anything would help.

Physics news on Phys.org
please...

bocobuff said:

Homework Statement

3 identical rectangular blocks on frictionless surface have equal magnitudes of force and in the same direction are exerted on them. The CoM is the same for all the blocks and in the center of the rectangle. For block 1, the force is exerted to the left of the CoM, and halfway to the edge of the rectangle. Block 2, the force is exerted at the CoM and for block 3, the force is exerted on the far right edge of the rectangle. What is the direction of the acceleration of the block's CoM? Rank the magnitudes of CoM accelerations.

The attempt at a solution
I am thinking that block 1 will move cw, block 2 will go straight, and block 3 will go ccw. Also I think the magnitude of Block 3 is greater than blcok 1 because the distance between CoM and where the force is applied for block 1 is half that of block 3.

I can envision the whole movement but I can't think about the direction of the CoM. Anything would help.

The distance from the C of M will determine which portion of the force will go into torque and which portion will go into translating linear motion won't it?

2 will go straight as you suggest with nothing to introduce torque..

The only problem you have is determining which of the other 2 will give more linear motion and to which direction the center of mass will fall off onto.

So less force is going to torque in block 1 because the point of force is closer to the CoM? Which would mean that it has a greater linear acceleration? So am I supposed to compare the magnitudes of the angular acceleration of CoM or linear?

bocobuff said:
So am I supposed to compare the magnitudes of the angular acceleration of CoM or linear?

I hope not. Only rank them looks like to me.

Cheers

I must be retarded then. Still don't get it. Wouldn't the force exerted be the tangential component that causes torque?

LowlyPion said:
The distance from the C of M will determine which portion of the force will go into torque and which portion will go into translating linear motion won't it?

2 will go straight as you suggest with nothing to introduce torque..

The only problem you have is determining which of the other 2 will give more linear motion and to which direction the center of mass will fall off onto.

The CoM motion is determined only by the net force on the block, and so is equal for all 3 blocks.

There is no "portion of the force" that goes into translating linear motion.

bocobuff said:
I must be retarded then. Still don't get it. Wouldn't the force exerted be the tangential component that causes torque?

Since it is frictionless and the blocks do have mass there will be varying degrees of linear momentum and angular momentum imparted. In 2) there is no net torque and so it is all linear. In 1) there will be a force couple between mass toward the outside edge, and the mass toward the center of mass. In 3) the force couple will be potentially minimal, hence the center of mass will will drift more quickly away than 1)as the edge is engaged.

borgwal said:
The CoM motion is determined only by the net force on the block, and so is equal for all 3 blocks.

There is no "portion of the force" that goes into translating linear motion.

I think you need to read the problem more carefully. Only one of the forces is acting directly through the center of mass of a block. That force will produce only a change in linear momentum. The other 2 are applied in an unbalanced way.

LowlyPion said:
Since it is frictionless and the blocks do have mass there will be varying degrees of linear momentum and angular momentum imparted. In 2) there is no net torque and so it is all linear. In 1) there will be a force couple between mass toward the outside edge, and the mass toward the center of mass. In 3) the force couple will be potentially minimal, hence the center of mass will will drift more quickly away than 1)as the edge is engaged.

The accelerations are all three the same. The amounts of work done by the identical forces are different, and that's how some blocks will rotate in addition to their *identical* CoM motions.

LowlyPion said:
I think you need to read the problem more carefully. Only one of the forces is acting directly through the center of mass of a block. That force will produce only a change in linear momentum. The other 2 are applied in an unbalanced way.

Check your textbook, and see what causes the CoM motion.
You sum all external forces, independent of where they act.

borgwal said:
Check your textbook, and see what causes the CoM motion.
You sum all external forces, independent of where they act.

Borgwal, my apologies. You are exactly right. It was my muddy thinking. Thank you for straightening out my faulty understanding.

So bocobuff, please disregard my earlier direction. That was incorrect on my part. The forces will act on the CoM as Borgwal has indicated.

Okay, no problem!

1. What is the Conceptual Center of Mass acceleration problem?

The Conceptual Center of Mass acceleration problem is a physics concept that involves finding the center of mass of a system and calculating its acceleration. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the motion of objects and systems.

2. How is the center of mass of a system determined?

The center of mass is determined by finding the average position of all the mass in a system. This can be done by summing the products of each mass and its distance from a chosen reference point, then dividing by the total mass of the system.

3. Why is the center of mass important in understanding acceleration?

The center of mass is important in understanding acceleration because it is the point where all external forces can be considered to act on a system. This means that the acceleration of the center of mass is equal to the total force divided by the total mass of the system.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This is because the center of mass is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in a system, and does not necessarily have to be located within the physical boundaries of an object.

5. How does the center of mass affect rotational motion?

The center of mass plays a crucial role in rotational motion. If the center of mass is not on the axis of rotation, it will experience a torque that causes it to rotate. This torque is equal to the product of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass.