Understanding Hadrons: A Beginner's Guide to the Proton and Quarks

• Thread starter KylBlz
  • Start date
In summary: They are well-supported by evidence.Except that the theories bomanfishwow is referring to are far from "crackpot" theories. They are well-supported by evidence.
KylBlz
Hi,

Im not going to lie, I am new to particle physics. Right now I am writing my Junior Research Paper on the LHC which brings up the Hadron. Wikipedia has a very confusing article about hadrons

it states that protons "composed of two up quarks (each with electric charge +2/3) and one down quark (with electric charge -1/3). Adding these together yields the proton charge of +1"

i also know that protons have a charge of +1. So to me they sound like the same particle. Also, i remember reading that a proton is in a group of quark comprized particles called hadrons.

please help me distinguish these particles :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are 6 different types of quarks. Excluding the top (which is too unstable), you have 5. Each quark has a corresponding anti-quark.

"Hadron" is a generic term that denotes a composite particle that is consists of quarks and antiquarks.

There are two known families of hadrons: baryons and mesons. Any 3 quarks can combine to form a composite particle. The family of such 3-quark composite particles is called baryons. In addition, any quark can combine with any anti-quark, and these composite particles are called mesons.

Proton is the only stable member of the family of hadrons. (There are theories that protons might decay, but so far there's no evidence of that) Neutron is "almost" stable (free neutron has a half-life of around 15 minutes). All other hadrons decay in fractions of a second.

Thank you for the information. That was a very clear explination

There should be a karma system or something simmelar after the forums move to another server. +1 for you.

hamster143 said:
Proton is the only stable member of the family of hadrons.

Being pedantic, we don't know it's stable, we just know it at least has a massive lifetime, PDG tells me it's greater than 1.6 x 1025 years in a mode dependent measure, or greater than 1031 to 1033 years depending on mode. It is dangerous to make explicit statements on these things ;)

Being pedantic, we don't know it's stable, we just know it at least has a massive lifetime

It's impossible to prove unequivocally that something is stable. This same argument can be applied to any other particle. E.g. we don't know that electron is stable, but we don't have any evidence that it decays. If we want to apply the term "stable" to any particles at all, we have to invoke the principle of presumption of stability: X is stable unless proven to decay.

hamster143 said:
This same argument can be applied to any other particle.
True, and the same argument can be applied quite generally to any scientific "truth". We don't know that the Sun will rise tomorrow actually...

humanino said:
True, and the same argument can be applied quite generally to any scientific "truth". We don't know that the Sun will rise tomorrow actually...

Yes, but it's more interesting to bring attention to the half-crackpot theories which predict the destruction of everything and everyone you've ever known.

Tac-Tics said:
Yes, but it's more interesting to bring attention to the half-crackpot theories which predict the destruction of everything and everyone you've ever known.
Except that the theories bomanfishwow is referring to are far from "crackpot" theories.

1. What are hadrons and why are they important in particle physics?

Hadrons are subatomic particles that are made up of quarks and are held together by the strong nuclear force. They are important in particle physics because they are the building blocks of matter and play a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of the universe.

2. How many types of hadrons are there and what are their differences?

There are two main types of hadrons: baryons and mesons. Baryons are made up of three quarks, while mesons are made up of a quark and an antiquark. The main difference between the two is the number of quarks they contain.

3. What are quarks and how do they contribute to the structure of hadrons?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up hadrons. They have properties such as mass, spin, and charge, and are held together by the strong nuclear force. Quarks come in six different flavors (up, down, strange, charm, bottom, top) and combine to form different types of hadrons with varying properties.

4. How do scientists study hadrons and their properties?

Scientists study hadrons by using particle accelerators to smash particles together at high speeds, creating new particles that can be analyzed. They also use mathematical models and theories, such as quantum chromodynamics, to understand the behavior of hadrons and their interactions.

5. What is the significance of understanding hadrons in relation to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. Understanding hadrons and their properties is crucial in filling in the missing pieces of the Standard Model and furthering our understanding of the fundamental nature of matter and the universe.