Solving a Complex Rotational Dynamics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the rotational inertia and angular speeds of three spinning disks on the same axle without friction. The disks then combine and stick together, forming a single piece with a single angular velocity. The conversation highlights the importance of conservation of angular momentum in solving this problem and provides hints on how to combine the individual angular momentums and obtain the final angular speed. The conversation ends with the original questioner expressing gratitude for the help received.
x2008kwa
Hi all,

I've got a question that I'm stuck on.

Three disks are spinning independently on the same axle without friction. Their respective rotational inertias and angular speeds are I,w (clockwise); 2I,3w (counterclockwise); and 4I,w/2 (clockwise). The disks then slide together and stick together, forming one piece with a single angular velocity. What will be the direction and the rate of rotation of the single piece?
Express your answer in terms of one or both of the variables and and appropriate constants. Use a minus sign for clockwise rotation.

I haven't really made progress on this question. My prof is abosolutely useless (it's his first year at my university and most likely his last judging by all of the complaints). So basically I haven't been taught how to approach this problem. I've read the texbook and can't figure out how this problem can be solved.
Not necessarly just looking for the answer to the problem, but how to approach it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What does your book say about the conservation of angular momentum? Does it by any chance indicate that in a closed system that Angular Momentum remains constant?

Isn't that all you have to know?

Thank you very much for your response.

Yes, I do know that angular momentum should be conserved... and that L = I x w...

Therefore I know that the angular momentum after the discs combine must be equal to the sum of all of the angular momentums of the individual discs... But I'm not sure how to go about combining these and obtaining the final angular speed. Any hints on how this is done?

Since all three disks are on the same axis, you don't need to worry about different directions in 3-D, but you do need to worry about clockwise vs counterclockwise. These will get opposite signs, and the problems tells you which one to make negative. Then, you use your equation for the three individual L's, and add them together with the appropriate signs to get the resulting L. Finally, to obtain the resulting w, you use your equation again to solve for it, but you need to know the resulting I. Since this is all on the same axis, the I's just sum, all with the same sign (because, like mass, I cannot be negative).

x2008kwa said:
Thank you very much for your response.

Yes, I do know that angular momentum should be conserved... and that L = I x w...

Therefore I know that the angular momentum after the discs combine must be equal to the sum of all of the angular momentums of the individual discs... But I'm not sure how to go about combining these and obtaining the final angular speed. Any hints on how this is done?

Then figure simply that the sum of the L (using the sign convention required by the problem) divided by the total I will be your final ω .

Thanks a ton for the help guys. Makes complete sense...
Got the answer correct now. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate around an axis. It involves concepts such as angular velocity, torque, and rotational inertia.

What makes a rotational dynamics problem complex?

A rotational dynamics problem can be considered complex when it involves multiple objects with different masses and shapes rotating around different axes, and/or when external forces such as friction and air resistance are also involved.

What are the steps to solving a complex rotational dynamics problem?

The steps to solving a complex rotational dynamics problem are: 1) Identify and label all the objects and their respective axes of rotation, 2) Determine the net torque acting on each object, 3) Use Newton's second law for rotational motion to calculate the angular acceleration of each object, 4) Use kinematic equations to solve for the angular displacement, velocity, and final position of each object, and 5) Check your solution for accuracy and make any necessary adjustments.

What are some common strategies for solving a complex rotational dynamics problem?

Some common strategies for solving a complex rotational dynamics problem include using free-body diagrams to visualize and analyze the forces and torques acting on each object, breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler parts, and using conservation of angular momentum to simplify the calculations.

What are some real-world applications of rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics has many real-world applications, such as in the design and analysis of machinery and vehicles that involve rotation, such as car engines and airplane propellers. It is also important in sports, such as diving and figure skating, which involve complex rotational movements. Additionally, rotational dynamics is used in astronomy to study the motion of planets and other celestial bodies.