Find Percent Composition of Ethylene from Natural Gas Sample

In summary, a 5.00g sample of natural gas containing methane and ethylene was burned in excess oxygen, resulting in 14.5g of CO2 and some H2O as products. By setting up two balanced reactions and using the given information, it was determined that the sample contained approximately 60.2% methane and 39.2% ethylene by weight.

Homework Statement

A 5.00g sample of natural gas, containing methane, CH4, and ethylene, C2H4, was burned in excess oxygen, yielding 14.5g CO2 and some H2O as products. What percent of the sample was ethylene?

Homework Equations

Moles and percent composition

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how to correctly set up the problem. I know that ethylene is about 40% and methane is about 60% by guess-and-checking percents until the two gas more or less result 14.5g CO2 combined, from 5.00g sample, but this way is obviously inefficient. How is it correctly set up to result the correct and accurate answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
312213 said:

Homework Statement

A 5.00g sample of natural gas, containing methane, CH4, and ethylene, C2H4, was burned in excess oxygen, yielding 14.5g CO2 and some H2O as products. What percent of the sample was ethylene?

Homework Equations

I don't really understand how to correctly set up the problem. I know that ethylene is about 40% and methane is about 60% by guess-and-checking percents until the two gas more or less result 14.5g CO2 combined, from 5.00g sample, but this way is obviously inefficient. How is it correctly set up to result the correct and accurate answer?

Write the balanced reactions for each combustion - be certain to balance reactants and products correctly. Calculate the molecular weights for methane, ethane(ethylene), and carbon dioxide.

You will have two unknown values; the mass of methane (call it x) and mass of ethylene (call it y). Using these as unknown variables, derive a formula for the resulting mass of carbon dioxide, do so for each gas compound reactant, not including the oxygen reactant (meaning just do this for the methane AND for the ethylene).

Now, you know two things: the expression with x plus the expression with y must equal 14.5 grams, and x+y must equal 5 grams.

If there were a way to construct a table into which I could put values and expressions, and if the typesetting system were easier to use, I would show you the table which I constructed on paper, but into this forum message. Try using the approach described after your quoted message.

312213 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Your two reactions should be:

CH4 + O2 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] CO2+ 2H2O

CH2CH2 + 3O2 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 2CO2 + 2 waters

Last edited:
CH4 + 2O2 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] CO2+ 2H2O
C2H4 + 3O2 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 2CO2 + 2H2O

x = CH4
y = C2H4

x + y = 5.00 g

x × (1 mol CH4/16.0426 g CH4) × (1 mol CO2 / 1 mol CH4) × (44.009 g CO2 / 1 mol CO2) [tex]\approx[/tex] 2.74326x

y × (1 mol C2H4/28.0536 g C2H4) × (2 mol CO2 / 1 mol C2H4) × (44.009 g CO2 / 1 mol CO2) [tex]\approx[/tex] 3.137494y

2.74326x + 3.137494y [tex]\approx[/tex] 14.5g CO2

x + y = 5.00 g [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] y = 5.00 g - x

2.74326x + 3.137494(5.00 g - x) [tex]\approx[/tex] 14.5g CO2
2.74326x + 15.68747 g - 3.137494x [tex]\approx[/tex] 14.5g CO2
1.18747 g [tex]\approx[/tex] 0.394234x
3.01209434 [tex]\approx[/tex] x

x + y = 5.00 g
3.01209434 + y = 5.00 g
y [tex]\approx[/tex] 1.988 g

3.01209434 / 5.00 [tex]\approx[/tex] 0.602 [tex]\approx[/tex] 60.2% CH4 by weight.

1.988 / 5.00 = 0.398 = 39.2% C2H4 by weight.

This looks correct. Thank you.

Last edited:
312213 you found and corrected my error in the methane reaction: TWO oxygen molecules, not just one oxygen molecule. I trust that the rest of your work is good and will not need to actually check it. In any case, you would not need the actual coefficient of oxygen molecules from the reactants sides in the actual rest of the solution process - but maybe just to check that the reactions are being balanced.

1. How is the percent composition of ethylene in a natural gas sample determined?

The percent composition of ethylene in a natural gas sample is determined through a process called gas chromatography. This involves separating the different components of the gas sample and then measuring the relative amounts of each component.

2. Why is it important to know the percent composition of ethylene in a natural gas sample?

Knowing the percent composition of ethylene in a natural gas sample is important because ethylene is a highly flammable and potentially hazardous gas. By knowing the percentage, safety precautions and protocols can be put in place to handle and transport the gas safely.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining the percent composition of ethylene in a natural gas sample?

The accuracy of determining the percent composition of ethylene in a natural gas sample can be affected by factors such as the temperature and pressure of the gas, the calibration of the equipment used, and any impurities or contaminants in the sample.

4. Can the percent composition of ethylene in a natural gas sample vary over time?

Yes, the percent composition of ethylene in a natural gas sample can vary over time. This can be due to changes in the source of the natural gas, fluctuations in production processes, or other external factors that may affect the composition of the gas.

5. How is the percent composition of ethylene in a natural gas sample expressed?

The percent composition of ethylene in a natural gas sample is typically expressed as a percentage by volume (%vol) or a percentage by weight (%wt). This indicates the amount of ethylene present in relation to the total volume or weight of the gas sample.