Is the symbol dx equivalent to Δx in these situations?

• Thread starter karkas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, there is confusion about the symbols Δx and dx, as they can both represent changes in a variable x. However, Δx is used to represent a finite change while dx represents an infinitesimal change. In physics and engineering, Δx is often used to denote a finite change, while dx is used to represent a derivative.
karkas
I have seen the symbol dx in differential equations, but recently I saw it appear in various other equations that I previously thought included Δx instead of dx.

Are those two symbols the same? I mean, is Δx = dx = xfinal - xinitial ?

This may be the wrong thread, but I am still a newcomer, and plus I thought I saw another such question around here before!

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

karkas said:
I have seen the symbol dx in differential equations, but recently I saw it appear in various other equations that I previously thought included Δx instead of dx.

Are those two symbols the same? I mean, is Δx = dx = xfinal - xinitial ?

Hi karkas! Welcome to PF! :smile:

∆x is an actual difference.

dx is an infinitesimal difference.

dx/dt = lim{∆x(t)/∆t} = lim{[x(t+∆t) - x(t)]/∆t}.

(for linear functions, of course, it makes no difference)

So Δx = xfinal - xinitial is correct :smile:

but dx = xfinal - xinitial is wrong :cry:

Thanks Tiny - tim!

Yet I still don't understand something (probably it's because we're taught everything in Greek and I am still not adept with English terminology).

If I say that the speed is v = Δx/Δt and v = dx/dt is the same thing if there is no force disrupting the linear movement?

karkas said:
Thanks Tiny - tim!

Yet I still don't understand something (probably it's because we're taught everything in Greek and I am still not adept with English terminology).

If I say that the speed is v = Δx/Δt and v = dx/dt is the same thing if there is no force disrupting the linear movement?

hmm … mathematical symbols should be an international language! :smile:

Yes, v = dx/dt is always correct …

but if there's no acceleration, then v = ∆x/∆t is also correct.

However, when you write dx/dt, you don't need to explain it,

but when you write ∆x/∆t, you need to specify a particular interval. :wink:

In physics and engineering, cap delta is frequently used to denote a finite change, a little bit of something. Thus cap delta x denotes a finite change in x.

It is common in setting up a problem to write things in terms of finite differences before passing to the limit when these differences, in the form of ratios, become derivatives.

What is a symbol question?

A symbol question is a type of question that uses symbols or images instead of words to convey the meaning. These questions are often used in mathematics, science, and other technical fields.

Why are symbol questions used?

Symbol questions are used because they can communicate complex ideas and concepts more efficiently and effectively than words. They also allow for more precise and concise communication, especially in fields where accuracy is crucial.

How do you answer a symbol question?

To answer a symbol question, you need to understand the symbols being used and their meanings. You may also need to apply mathematical or logical reasoning to arrive at the correct answer.

What are the advantages of using symbol questions?

There are several advantages of using symbol questions. They can help reduce language barriers, allow for more universal understanding, and promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Are there any limitations to using symbol questions?

Yes, there are some limitations to using symbol questions. They may be difficult for some individuals to comprehend, especially those with visual impairments. They also require a certain level of knowledge and understanding of the symbols being used, which may be a barrier for some learners.