Work and power when lifting weights

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in energy required to lift a log when lifting from one end versus lifting from somewhere in the middle. It is suggested that this difference is due to the use of a second order lever versus a third order lever. Additionally, the topic of power is briefly mentioned but not fully explored.
physicscholar
something i can't grasp is
why is it that when you lift one end of a log and the center of mass is raised a certain height you are using less energy than lifting the whole log with the center of mass raised to the same height
does it have to do with the amount of mass you're raising?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about the mechanical energy done on the log or the chemical energy used by your muscles? The mechanical energy is equal in the two cases.

I'm also unsure of how this relates to the title of the thread - you didn't ask anything about power.

Hi
if i understand properly your question...i think you must understand the gravity and balancing methods..
For e.g.,
case 1. When you lift from one end->it means a 2nd order lever (load is the log or somewhere in log, fulcrum (fixed) at the other end and)..
case 2. When you lift by holding the log somewhere (not from end!)->it means a 3rd order lever (load is the log or somewhere in log, fulcrum (fixed) where you hold the log..
Obviously it will easier in 1.
Hope this helps.

1. What is the difference between work and power when lifting weights?

Work is the amount of force applied to move an object over a certain distance, while power is the rate at which work is done. In terms of lifting weights, work would be the total amount of force used to lift the weight, and power would be how quickly the weight is lifted.

2. How does the amount of weight lifted affect the work and power involved?

The amount of weight lifted directly affects the amount of work and power involved. The greater the weight, the more work and power are required to lift it. This is because more force is needed to overcome the weight and move it a certain distance.

3. Is it better to lift heavier weights for a shorter period of time or lighter weights for a longer period of time?

It ultimately depends on your fitness goals. Lifting heavier weights for a shorter period of time can increase muscle strength and size, while lifting lighter weights for a longer period of time can improve muscle endurance. It is important to have a balance of both in your workout routine.

4. How does the speed at which I lift weights affect the power involved?

The speed at which you lift weights can affect the power involved. Power is calculated by dividing work by time, so if you increase the speed at which you lift the weight, the power involved will also increase. However, it is important to maintain proper form and not sacrifice it for speed.

5. Can I increase my power when lifting weights?

Yes, power can be increased through strength training and proper form. By gradually increasing the weight and maintaining proper form, you can improve your muscle strength and power. Additionally, incorporating exercises that target power, such as plyometrics, can also help increase power when lifting weights.