Standard deviation of weighted data

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the standard deviation for a set of 50 resistances that are measured and recorded. The formula used is variance = f(x - M)^2/n, where f represents the frequency and M is the mean. The conversation also touches on the difference between variance and standard deviation, with the correct standard deviation calculation being the square root of the variance.
MadmanMurray

Homework Statement

The resistances of 50 resistors are measured and the results recorded are as follows:

Resistance x Frequency
1.) 5 x 17,
2.) 5.5 x 12,
3.) 6 x 10,
4.) 6.5 x 6,
5.) 7 x 5)

Calculate standard deviation of the measurements

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Added up the frequences and got n = 50

Multiplied the resistance by its weight or frequency and got the following:
1.) 86
2.) 66
3.) 60
4.) 39
5.) 35

then I added the values up and divided the result by the sum of the frequencies (n) to get the mean (cant do an x bar so I'll denote it as M)
M = 5.7

If I follow the standard deviation formula and add up all results of (x - m)2 I get a really low number so if I then divide that really low number by n which is 50 I get something like 0.0049.

What am I doing wrong? Is the x of the formula resistance x frequency in this case since its weighted data I am dealing with?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm I can only comment on your procedure in calculating the standard deviation. I think what you have is the variance. The standard deviation is the square root of that quantity you calculated. But like you said, the data that you're dealing with might require a different calculation.

Yes I know that the standard deviation is the variance squared but what I'm asking is how I get the variance with weighted data. I know I have to use the formula variance = f(x - M)2/n but what does that mean? Do I subtract M from x then square the result then multiply by f or what?

Well first of all, the standard deviation is the square root of the variance. I'm not sure what f is in your formula even though I suspect that it is a function, not a variable. The formula for sample variance is the [sum of (x - M)^2 over all x] / [n-1]. The standard deviation is the square root of this quantity.

Like I said, this is just the very basic sample variance formula.

That's not what I get. I get 0.392 for the variance and 0.6096 for the standard deviation.

1. What is the formula for calculating standard deviation of weighted data?

The formula for calculating standard deviation of weighted data is the square root of the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the weighted mean, divided by the sum of the weights minus one.

2. How is standard deviation of weighted data different from regular standard deviation?

Standard deviation of weighted data takes into account the varying weights of each data point, while regular standard deviation treats all data points equally. This means that the weighted standard deviation gives more weight to data points with higher weights, while regular standard deviation treats all data points equally.

3. What does a higher standard deviation of weighted data indicate?

A higher standard deviation of weighted data indicates that the data points are more spread out from the weighted mean, and there is more variability in the data set. This could be due to the presence of outliers or a wider range of values in the data set.

4. How do you interpret the results of standard deviation of weighted data?

The results of standard deviation of weighted data can be interpreted similarly to regular standard deviation. A smaller standard deviation indicates that the data points are closer to the weighted mean, while a larger standard deviation indicates more variability in the data set. Additionally, the standard deviation can be used to compare the spread of two or more data sets with different weights.

5. Can standard deviation of weighted data be negative?

No, standard deviation of weighted data cannot be negative. The formula for calculating standard deviation always results in a positive value, as it involves squaring the differences between data points and the mean. This ensures that the standard deviation is always a measure of distance from the mean, regardless of the weights assigned to each data point.