Value of Voltage Reflection Coefficient

In summary: The VRC is a measure of how much voltage is reflected back at the source.4. The same VRC holds true, if we measure the distance from the source to the load.
varunag
hi

i was studying the "wave characteristics of transmission lines". while considering the lines with resistive termination, the term "voltage reflection coefficient(VRC)" came.
With reference to the book, "Field and Wave Electromagnetics", by David K. Cheng,
the following expression was given for the VRC:
[tex]
\Gamma = \frac{Z_L - Z_0}{Z_L + Z_0} = |\Gamma|e^{j\theta_\Gamma}
[/tex]
[tex]
Z_0\text{ is the characteristic impedance, and } Z_L\text{ is the load impedance.}
[/tex]

This was when, the distance on the line was measured from the load towards the source.
I wanted to know whether the same formula holds if we measure the distance from source towards the load. I was trying to find the same and would still be trying out, but thought it would be good to know more... (you always get to know more than what you want at PF)

regards,
varunag

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Varun, good to see you on PF. How are you these days? :-)

Well, since you're following Cheng, I will also use the convention he's used:

[tex]\Gamma(z) = \frac{V^{-}e^{\gamma z}}{V^{+}e^{-\gamma z}}[/tex]

here [itex]z = 0[/itex] corresponds to the load. So at the load,

[tex]\Gamma_{L} = \frac{V^{-}}{V^{+}} = \frac{Z_L - Z_0}{Z_L + Z_0} = |\Gamma_{L}|e^{j\theta_\Gamma_{L}}[/tex]

Distances towards the source are along negative z, so at a distance z' from the load, the coordinate z = -z' and so

[tex]\Gamma(z=-z') = \Gamma_{L}e^{-2\gamma z'}[/tex]

which implies that

[tex]\Gamma(z=-z') = |\Gamma_{L}|e^{j\theta_\Gamma_{L}-2\gamma z'}[/tex]

I guess this is what you were looking for.

Note: We need to be careful when writing [itex]\Gamma(z')[/itex]. Depending on the context, it could correspond to a distance z' from the load (which would imply that this is an implicit notation for z = -z' and the minus sign has been suppressed for convenience) or the coordinate z = +z'. Both mean totally different things.

Hope that helps.

thanks maverick, for the prompt reply.

a few things i have understood after reading your post and then the book:
1. The VRC I've mentioned, is the "voltage reflection coefficient" of the load impedance [tex]Z_L[/tex].
2. The formula does depend on the choice of our z. And I was earlier making some mistake when I was trying to find [tex]\Gamma[/tex] using z going from source to load. Although later I was able to find [tex]\Gamma[/tex] correctly. :smile:

1. What is the value of voltage reflection coefficient?

The voltage reflection coefficient, also known as the reflection coefficient or standing wave ratio, is a measure of the amount of reflected energy compared to the incident energy in an electrical system. It is expressed as a ratio or percentage and can range from 0 to 1, where 0 indicates no reflection and 1 indicates total reflection.

2. How is the value of voltage reflection coefficient calculated?

The voltage reflection coefficient is calculated by dividing the reflected voltage by the incident voltage. This can be done using the formula Γ = (Vr/Vi), where Γ is the voltage reflection coefficient, Vr is the reflected voltage, and Vi is the incident voltage.

3. What factors affect the value of voltage reflection coefficient?

Several factors can affect the value of voltage reflection coefficient, including the impedance mismatch between two components, the length of the transmission line, and any discontinuities or changes in the transmission line. Additionally, the frequency and power of the signal can also impact the value of the reflection coefficient.

4. Why is the value of voltage reflection coefficient important?

The value of voltage reflection coefficient is important because it can provide information about the performance and efficiency of an electrical system. A high reflection coefficient can indicate signal loss and poor impedance matching, which can lead to decreased performance and potential damage to components.

5. How can the value of voltage reflection coefficient be minimized?

The value of voltage reflection coefficient can be minimized by ensuring proper impedance matching between components, using appropriate transmission line lengths, and minimizing any discontinuities or changes in the transmission line. Additionally, using components with a wide bandwidth and high power handling capabilities can also help reduce the reflection coefficient.