Matrix equation system

In summary, by analyzing the extended matrix Ae, it is possible to find solutions for different values of k in the equation AX=B. For k=4, there are infinite options including 2 free parameters, with x3=u, x2=t, and x1=2-2t-3u. For k=0, there are infinite options including 1 free parameter, with x3=u, x2=0, and x1=2-3u. For any other value of k, there is a single solution with x1=2, x2=0, and x3=0. The solutions can also be found by using the inverse of A'.
Dell
given the matrix A and vectors X & B
A=
1 2 3
2 k 6
0 0 k-4
k 2k 3k

X=
x1
x2
x3

B=

what values of K(if any) will give AX=B--
a) with no possible x1 x2 x3
b) with a single x1 x2 x3, what are they
c) with infinite options, including 1 free parameter? what is this solutions
d) with infinite options including 2 free parameters? what is theis solutions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
i make an extended matrix Ae, with B connected to A, and then analyze

first thing i see is that i have 4 equations but 2 of them are definitely the same, (in A : R1=K*R4) so i can esssentialy ingore R4,
next thing i see is that if K is 4, R3 is all 0's, and R2=2R1, so all I am left with is R1, from here i can clearly see the answer to d) k=4, infinite options including 2 free parameters, x3=u x2=t x1=2-2t-3u

now if K is 0, then R3 &4 still fall away, and I am left with R1 R2, since R1 and R2 are exactly the same other than their second digit, i subtract one from the other and i get that x2=0 and therefore i get the answer to c) k=0, infinite options, including 1 free parameter x3=u x2=0 x1=2-3u

if K is anything else then R4 still falls away, and X3=0, so now i can subtract R2-2R1 and i will get that x2 is also 0 therefore x1= 2 so this answers b) K[tex]\neq[/tex]0,4 a single x1 x2 x3

from what i see there is no answer to a) no possible x1 x2 x3 which i think is okay since i have the exact amount of equations or less equations, never more than 3, and i only have x1...x3,.

i have found alll of these answers without any real mathematical operations. how would i do this with equations or math operations,,, originally what i tried to do is take the matrix A, without R3, call it A', now i know that there will be either no solution if A' is singular, so i checked detA' and i got detA'=(K-4)(K-4), if i compare this to 0 i get k=4 which is fine, but how do i get the k=0 solution?

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the solution for k=0, you can use the inverse of A' to solve for X. First, find the inverse of A' by using the determinant you found earlier. So the inverse of A' would be:

A'^-1 = 1/((K-4)(K-4)) *
[ K-6 2K-6 3K-9;
2 K-4 3;
0 0 K-4 ]

Then, multiply A'^-1 by B to get X:

X = A'^-1 * B = 1/((K-4)(K-4)) *
[ K-6 2K-6 3K-9;
2 K-4 3;
0 0 K-4 ] * [2;4;0;2K] =
[ 2-3K; 0; 0; 2K ]

So for k=0, the solution would be x1=2-3K=2, x2=0, x3=0, which matches the solution you found earlier.

To find the solutions for k=4, you can use the same method. The inverse of A' would be:

A'^-1 = 1/0 *
[ 0 0 0;
2 0 3;
0 0 0 ]

Since the determinant is 0, the inverse does not exist and there is no solution for k=4. This confirms the result you found earlier.

Overall, using the inverse of A' can be a more systematic way of finding solutions for different values of k.

1. What is a matrix equation system?

A matrix equation system is a set of equations involving matrices, where the goal is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations simultaneously.

2. How is a matrix equation system solved?

Matrix equation systems are typically solved using methods such as Gaussian elimination, substitution, or Cramer's rule. These methods involve manipulating the equations and matrices to isolate the variables and solve for their values.

3. What are the applications of matrix equation systems?

Matrix equation systems are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. They can be used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables and equations, such as in systems of linear equations or in optimization problems.

4. Can a matrix equation system have multiple solutions?

Yes, a matrix equation system can have multiple solutions, depending on the number of variables and the nature of the equations. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions, while in others, there may be none.

5. What is the role of matrices in a matrix equation system?

Matrices play a central role in matrix equation systems as they represent the coefficients and variables in the equations. They allow for efficient and organized manipulation of the equations and variables, making it easier to solve the system.