Independent and Dependent Variables

In summary, the individual is doing a lab to determine heat energy or enthalpy using the equation (delta) H = m x c x T. They will be conducting reactions of a strong acid and strong base, as well as a weak acid and the same strong base. For the planning of the lab, they must identify the independent and dependent variables. The independent variables include the strong base and time, while the dependent variable is the temperature of the reaction. However, the teacher suggests revising this and considering factors such as the amounts of reagents used as dependent variables and the change in temperature as an independent variable.
ditto_299
I'm doing a lab where i need to calculate the heat energy, or enthalpy using the equation

(delta) H = m x c x T

my reactions are going to be of a strong acid and a strong base:

Sulfuric Acid + Sodium Hydroxide→ Sodium Sulfate + Water

and of a wek acid and the same strong base:

Ethanoic Acid + Sodium Hydroxide → Sodium Ethanoate + Water.

So, for the planning of the lab, I have to put in the independent and dependent variables. For independent I intially put that what doesn't change is the strong base, and also time. For the dependent variables, i put the temperature of the reaction. However, my teacher says that I should still revise this. Any suggestions or help?

thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
Look more closely at 'm', 'c', and 'T' (probably 'delta T'). Dependent variables are things you can control... like how much of a reagent to add. Independent variables are things you can't control or that you are measuring... like how much the temperature changed during a process given a certain amount of reagent A and B you used.

it is important to have a clear understanding of independent and dependent variables in an experiment. In your lab, the independent variable would be the type of acid used (strong or weak) and the dependent variable would be the change in temperature (enthalpy) of the reaction. The strong base and time are not considered independent variables in this case because they are not being varied or manipulated by you, but rather they are constant factors in the experiment.

It is also important to note that in your equation, the mass (m) and specific heat (c) are also independent variables, as they can vary depending on the amount and type of acid used. Therefore, you may want to consider including them in your independent variables as well.

One suggestion for revising your independent and dependent variables is to focus on the specific factors that you are changing or controlling in the experiment. For example, you could state your independent variable as "type of acid used" and your dependent variable as "change in temperature (enthalpy) of the reaction." This way, it is clear that you are manipulating the type of acid and measuring the resulting change in temperature.

Overall, it is important to be clear and specific when identifying independent and dependent variables in an experiment. This will help ensure the accuracy and validity of your results. I hope this helps and good luck with your lab!

1. What is the difference between an independent and dependent variable?

An independent variable is a factor that is manipulated or changed by the researcher in an experiment in order to observe its effect on the dependent variable. The dependent variable, on the other hand, is the outcome or response that is measured or observed as a result of changes in the independent variable.

2. How do you identify the independent and dependent variables in an experiment?

The independent variable is typically identified as the factor that is intentionally changed or varied by the researcher. The dependent variable, on the other hand, is the factor that is measured or observed in response to the changes in the independent variable.

3. Can there be more than one independent or dependent variable in an experiment?

Yes, there can be multiple independent and dependent variables in an experiment. This is often the case in complex experiments where there are multiple factors being manipulated and multiple outcomes being measured.

4. How do you control for extraneous variables in an experiment?

Extraneous variables are factors that can potentially affect the dependent variable but are not intentionally manipulated by the researcher. To control for these variables, researchers use techniques such as random assignment, control groups, and statistical analysis to ensure that any changes in the dependent variable are due to the manipulation of the independent variable.

5. Are independent and dependent variables only used in scientific experiments?

No, the concept of independent and dependent variables can also be applied in other types of research, such as observational studies or correlational studies. In these cases, the independent variable is still the factor that is believed to have an effect on the dependent variable, but it is not manipulated by the researcher.