Blocks on a tabletop attached to a mass suspended by a pulley

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of block C in a situation where it must move block A without overcoming the static friction between block A and block B. The equations f=ma, w=ma, and g = 9.8m/s/s are mentioned as being important. The conversation also mentions finding the static friction by multiplying the coefficient of static friction by the reaction/normal force, and finding the normal force as equal to the weight of Block B. The final answer given is 3.75 kg.
Wobble

Homework Statement

PhysicsPRoblem.jpg

Homework Equations

We have yet to go over this material, which kinda pisses me off, but I'm guessing that:

f=ma, w=ma, g = 9.8m/s/s

are important

The Attempt at a Solution

If somebody could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful. I attempted at drawing a diagram of the forces on each object, but I'm not sure where to even start.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find the mass of block C so that it moves block A but not too large that it overcomes the static friction between block A and block B I believe. So find the static friction and divide it by g to find the mass of Block C

static friction = (coefficient of static friction) (reaction/normal force)

So will the normal force be the mass of the two blocks times gravity?

the normal force should be equal to the weight of Block B

Thank you so much

I got 3.75 kg

1. How does the mass of the suspended object affect the movement of the blocks on the tabletop?

The mass of the suspended object affects the movement of the blocks on the tabletop because it creates a force that pulls on the blocks through the pulley system. This force is known as tension and it can cause the blocks to move in a certain direction.

2. What is the purpose of the pulley in this experiment?

The pulley is used to change the direction of the force created by the suspended mass. Without the pulley, the force would simply pull straight down on the blocks, but with the pulley, the force can be redirected horizontally to cause the blocks to move.

3. How does the angle of the pulley affect the movement of the blocks?

The angle of the pulley can affect the movement of the blocks because it can change the direction and magnitude of the force acting on the blocks. If the pulley is at an angle, the force will be split into vertical and horizontal components, which can change the direction of the movement of the blocks.

4. Can the blocks on the tabletop move without the suspended mass?

Yes, the blocks on the tabletop can move without the suspended mass. However, they will only move if there is another force acting on them, such as a push or pull from an external source. Without any external force, the blocks will remain stationary due to the principle of inertia.

5. How does the friction between the blocks and the tabletop affect the movement of the blocks?

The friction between the blocks and the tabletop can affect the movement of the blocks by creating a force that opposes their movement. This force, known as frictional force, can cause the blocks to slow down or even stop if it is strong enough. It is important to consider the friction when conducting this experiment as it can affect the accuracy of the results.