Cant make 7segment display run using 74LS47 IC

• Thread starter chrisalviola
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ic
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 74LS47 IC to connect a 7 segment display, with the pins properly connected according to the schematics. However, when inputting a binary code, no light is emitted from the display. It is suggested to use series resistors in each lead and to tie the blank input high.
chrisalviola
would a 7 segment display show numbers if you only use a 74LS47 ic only?
i connected it all the pins right according to the schematics
7447.gif

the 7 segment display is connected right in pins 15-9 in 7447 ic and the pins 7,1,2 & 6 i used as 4 bit binary input, so when i input 0101 which is 5 no light come out from the 7 segment, is there anything wrong in my connections?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

There could be a few potential issues with your setup. First, make sure that the 7 segment display is properly connected to the 74LS47 IC and that all the pins are securely connected. Additionally, check the datasheet for the 74LS47 IC to ensure that you have the correct pinout and that you are using the correct voltage levels. It's also possible that there may be a problem with the binary inputs or with the power supply. Double check all of these components to make sure they are functioning properly. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to consult with a more experienced electronics engineer or refer to online resources for troubleshooting tips.

1. How do I connect the 74LS47 IC to a 7-segment display?

To connect the 74LS47 IC to a 7-segment display, you will need to connect the corresponding segments of the display to the outputs of the IC. Each segment will have a corresponding output pin on the IC, and you will need to connect them using appropriate resistors to limit the current. You will also need to connect the common cathode or anode of the display to the appropriate pin on the IC. Refer to the datasheet of the IC for the specific pin connections.

2. Why is my 7-segment display not working with the 74LS47 IC?

There could be several reasons why your 7-segment display is not working with the 74LS47 IC. Some common issues include incorrect wiring, faulty connections, or incorrect IC pin configurations. Make sure to double-check all connections and consult the datasheet to ensure the correct pin configurations. You may also want to check the voltage levels and current flowing through the components to ensure they are within the IC's operating range.

3. Can I use the 74LS47 IC with a common anode display?

Yes, the 74LS47 IC can be used with both common cathode and common anode displays. However, the pin connections will be different for each type of display. Make sure to consult the datasheet for the correct pin connections when using a common anode display.

4. How do I troubleshoot problems with the 74LS47 IC and 7-segment display?

If your 7-segment display is not working with the 74LS47 IC, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, check all connections and make sure they are secure and correctly wired. Next, check the voltage levels and current flowing through the IC and display to ensure they are within the specified range. You may also want to try using a different IC or display to see if the issue lies with a faulty component. If all else fails, consult the datasheet or reach out to the manufacturer for further assistance.

5. Are there any alternative ICs that can be used to drive a 7-segment display?

Yes, there are several alternative ICs that can be used to drive a 7-segment display, such as the 4511, 7447, and CD4033. Each IC has its own pin configurations and features, so make sure to consult the datasheet when using a different IC. Additionally, there are also microcontrollers that can be programmed to drive a 7-segment display, providing more flexibility in terms of display patterns and functionalities.