Length of Wire Around Circle of Cylinders.

In summary, the person is seeking help in finding the length of a loop enclosing 'n' number of cylinders. They have found the length of the loop touching the cylinders and now need to find the rest of the length. The formula they obtained for the length of the loop touching the cylinders is L = 4[2pi(r)(3pi/n)]. They also need clarification on the formula and the remainder of the formula. They have provided a diagram and a similar question previously asked on a forum. Finally, they have found the complete formula to be L(total) = 3(2πr + Rcosπ)/n and are seeking confirmation from others.
cemcem
Alright guys, wouldn't have wanted this to be my first post, but here it goes;

I'm trying to find out the length of a loop which is enclosing 'n' number of cylinders.
I've found the length of the loop touching the cylinders, and now need to find the rest of the length of the loop (which is not touching the cylinders).

The formula I obtained for the length of the loop touching the cylinders is as follows;
L (of loop touching cylinders) = 4[2pi(r)(3pi/n)]
given that a pentagon has an internal angle some of 540 degrees.
I need clarification that this part of the formula is correct and need the remainder of the formula which I've stated above.

Here is the question straight from the assignment:
http://s5.tinypic.com/116oysj.jpg

Here is a top view of the diagram I've drawn, indicating the sections I've found the formula for:
http://i44.tinypic.com/mk95sn.jpg

Here is a question similar to mine, previously asked on physics forums (with 4 cylinders), which did not resolve with an answer;
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14794&d=1216796703

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The diagram in the similar question asked previously is better labelled.

Alright guys, I've finalised my complete formula.
I found it to be;

L (total) = 3(2πr + Rcosπ)/n

Did anyone else get this formula, can I please get a confirmation?

π = pi

just in case you can't tell because it doesn't look like the pi symbol.

cemcem said:
Alright guys, I've finalised my complete formula.
I found it to be;

L (total) = 3(2πr + Rcosπ)/n

Did anyone else get this formula, can I please get a confirmation?

That's not what I get. The part that depends on 'r' is the part touching the cylinders. I get that that is just 2*pi*r. How do you get that it's multiplied by 3/n?

Thread can be closed. I found the solution. I'll upload it later on for the use of it by others.

Your help was greatly appreciated, Dick.

1. What is the formula for calculating the length of wire around a circle of cylinders?

The formula for calculating the length of wire around a circle of cylinders is L = 2πr(n + 0.5), where L is the length of wire, r is the radius of the circle, and n is the number of cylinders.

2. How do you determine the radius of the circle in this formula?

The radius of the circle can be determined by dividing the total circumference of the circle by 2π. This will give you the radius of each individual cylinder.

3. Can this formula be used for any number of cylinders?

Yes, this formula can be used for any number of cylinders as long as they are arranged in a circle with equal spacing between each cylinder.

4. What units should be used for the radius and length of wire in this formula?

The units for the radius and length of wire can be any unit of length, such as meters, centimeters, or inches. It is important to make sure that both measurements are in the same unit before plugging them into the formula.

5. How accurate is this formula in real-world applications?

This formula is accurate for ideal situations where the cylinders are perfectly circular and evenly spaced. In real-world applications, there may be slight variations due to manufacturing processes or imperfect placement of the cylinders.