Static equilibrium and torque problem

In summary, the figure shows an outstretched arm with a mass of 4.4 kg and a length of 56 cm, with a center of gravity 21 cm from the shoulder. At the end of the arm, there is a 6.0-kg mass held by the hand. The first question asks for the torque about the shoulder due to the weights of the arm and the mass. The second question asks for the force exerted by the deltoid muscle, which acts 5.0 cm below the horizontal at a point 18 cm from the shoulder joint. To solve the first question, the force perpendicular to the arm (m2gcos15) is multiplied by the distance from the shoulder (0.
physicshurts

Homework Statement

The figure shows an outstretched arm with a mass (m1) of 4.4 kg. The arm is 56 cm long, and its center of gravity is 21 cm from the shoulder. The hand at the end of the arm holds a 6.0-kg mass (m2). (so its a man holding a dumbell, and his arm is 15 degrees up from the horizontal)

What is the torque about the shoulder due to the weights of the arm and the 6.0-kg mass?

If the arm is held in equilibrium by the deltoid muscle, whose force on the arm acts 5.0 below the horizontal at a point 18 from the shoulder joint what is the force exerted by the muscle?

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I got the first question by determining the force perpendicular to the arm: m2gcos15 and then multiplying that by the distance from the shoulder, .56m. Then I added (m1g)(.21m), the mass of the weight of the arm and the position of its center of mass (.21m)

Now the second question, I am really confused about. I know that I make the deltoid muscle into a tension force, but how do I find out what the tension force is, do I simply do a sum of force in the x and y direction? Or do I have to include torque some how?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicshurts said:
Now the second question, I am really confused about. I know that I make the deltoid muscle into a tension force, but how do I find out what the tension force is, do I simply do a sum of force in the x and y direction? Or do I have to include torque some how?

Welcome to PF.

Apparently you have a 5 degree angle made by the muscle and at an attached distance.

Sounds like you have a triangle there, where the vertical component of the force will need to support the weight of the arm.

Im still not sure how to set it up though? How do I find the force exerted by the muscle? Do I need to find torque again?

physicshurts said:
Do I need to find torque again?

Yes.

Figure the point that the weight is acting through (CofM) times the distance and that equals the vertical component of the force exerted by the muscle. The angle is tiny, so the force will be large right? And it acts through its attachment point on the arm.

Hi there! I have used the physics forum as a resource before although I must say this is the first time I have ever been "stuck" enough to ask directly.

I can't seem to set up the problem correctly. I know that the deltoid muscle works in an upward force and that its Force = .18 * sin (5 degrees). However, I don't quite understand what to set it equal to (since the torques equal zero) -- help!

geekoid32 said:
Hi there! I have used the physics forum as a resource before although I must say this is the first time I have ever been "stuck" enough to ask directly.

I can't seem to set up the problem correctly. I know that the deltoid muscle works in an upward force and that its Force = .18 * sin (5 degrees). However, I don't quite understand what to set it equal to (since the torques equal zero) -- help!

Welcome to PF.

If I understand the drawing - which I am not advantaged in being able to see I might note - the .18 distance is the lever over which it acts. The sum of the torques being 0, means that the weight acting at the center of mass, whatever that is, as well as the weight held in the hand, will equal the Tension in the muscle/sin5° and that is all times the .18 distance.

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to the state of an object when it is at rest and not undergoing any acceleration. This means that the object's forces and torques are balanced, resulting in no net movement or rotation.

2. How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium is when an object is in motion at a constant velocity, meaning that its forces and torques are balanced but the object is not at rest. In contrast, static equilibrium occurs when an object is not moving at all.

3. What is torque and how does it relate to static equilibrium?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. In static equilibrium, the sum of all torques acting on an object must be zero, which means that the object will not rotate or topple over.

4. How do you solve a static equilibrium and torque problem?

To solve a static equilibrium and torque problem, you must first identify all the forces and torques acting on the object. Then, using the principles of equilibrium and torque, you can set up and solve equations to determine the unknown variables.

5. What are some real-life examples of static equilibrium and torque problems?

Some examples of static equilibrium and torque problems in everyday life include a ladder leaning against a wall, a see-saw with two people sitting on opposite ends, and a book sitting on a table. In each of these cases, the forces and torques acting on the object must be balanced for it to remain in a state of static equilibrium.