Rotating square coil in constant magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the torque in a rotating square coil with a uniform magnetic field pointing in the z direction. The equation for torque is T = NIABcos(ωt), and there may be a missing piece in the calculation involving the EMF. The conversation also touches on the concept of flux and how it relates to the EMF equation.
snufkin

Homework Statement

There is one square coil of area A that rotates with speed [tex]\omega[/tex] around axis y. The magnetic field is uniform and points to the z direction. Show that the torque is [tex]\frac{A^2B^2N^2\omega sin\omega t}{R}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]T = |\underline{m} \times \underline{B}|[/tex]
[tex]\underline{m} = N I A[/tex]
Thus [tex]T = NIABcos(\omega t)[/tex]

Unsure about these:
[tex]EMF = NIR[/tex]
[tex]EMF = - N\frac{d \Phi}{d t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I have read many similar questions on this forums, and I think I am close to fully understand the problem itself, but there is a piece missing, and I don't see from my initial equations where I am going wrong.

I calculate I via the EMF, substitute it into T. But with this I end up with one N, whereas the supposed solution that I need to prove in the exercise is [tex]T = \frac{A^2B^2\omega sin^2\omega t}{R}[/tex].

I am assuming one of the initial equations wrong, I suspect the EMF section, because I not understand it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thinking of V that is probably wrong, the number of loops has nothing to do with the potential, so [tex]V = IR[/tex].

So EMF is [tex]-N \cdot \frac{d \Phi}{d t}[/tex] because we take [tex]\Phi[/tex] at each loop, and just sum those up. I am wondering now why can we actually do that, since in a different alignment the flux in each loop must be different.

The flux is the same for each loop, so yes EMF = -N dΦ/dt

1. What is a rotating square coil in a constant magnetic field?

A rotating square coil in a constant magnetic field is a setup commonly used in experiments to demonstrate electromagnetic induction. It consists of a square-shaped coil of wire that is rotated within a constant magnetic field, causing a change in magnetic flux and inducing an electric current in the coil.

2. How does a rotating square coil in a constant magnetic field demonstrate electromagnetic induction?

As the square coil is rotated within the magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the coil changes. This change in flux induces an electric current in the coil, according to Faraday's law of induction. This demonstrates the conversion of mechanical energy (rotation) into electrical energy (current).

3. What factors affect the induced current in a rotating square coil in a constant magnetic field?

The induced current in a rotating square coil is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, and the number of turns in the coil. A stronger magnetic field, faster rotation, and more turns in the coil will result in a larger induced current.

4. What are the applications of a rotating square coil in a constant magnetic field?

A rotating square coil in a constant magnetic field is commonly used in electrical generators to produce electricity. It is also used in devices such as electric motors and transformers. This setup is also used in experiments to study the principles of electromagnetic induction.

5. How is the direction of the induced current determined in a rotating square coil in a constant magnetic field?

The direction of the induced current in a rotating square coil is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of the right hand are curled in the direction of rotation of the coil, then the induced current flows in the direction of the thumb. This is known as the generator rule.