What's the Next Step in Advanced Algebra After Artin and Dummit?

In summary, the conversation discusses a recommendation for a good book on abstract algebra for someone with a background in linear algebra. The books suggested include Dummit and Foote, Hungerford, Artin, and Robert Ash's book. The conversation also mentions the inclusion of linear algebra in Artin's book due to the combined course structure at MIT.
samspotting
I just finished a very rigorous second course in linear algebra covering determinants, diagonalization, cayley hamilton thm and invariant subspaces, normal/self adjoint/unitary operators and the spectral thm, and jordan forms. I also have finished calc 3, analysis in several dimensions.

I flipped through artin and saw that it covered a lot of what I knew already (just from looking at the table of contents). What is a good book for someone with my background? I've heard bad things about dummit and foote.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I like D&F. If it's too easy (it's about the same level as Artin), you can go right to Hungerford.
So you have a good background in linear algebra...but have you seen anything on group and ring theory?

I have never studied abstract algebra, so I know very little of even what it covers. I know the basic definition of a ring and group. I was confused as to why there is so much lin alg in artin. Is it from a group theory perspective?

Artin is an excellent book. Just skip or skim over chapters 1,3,4 and do the rest of the book normally. The books set up the way it is because the course at MIT the book is based contained abstract algebra and abstract linear algebra together.

Or Robert Ash's book is free and assumes linear algebra, although his book is meant for a first year graduate class instead of an undergrad class.
http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~r-ash/Algebra.html

1. What makes a good abstract algebra book?

A good abstract algebra book should have a clear and organized structure, cover a wide range of topics, include numerous examples and exercises, and have a writing style that is easy to understand and engaging.

2. What are some recommended abstract algebra books for beginners?

Some highly recommended abstract algebra books for beginners include "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter, "Abstract Algebra: A First Course" by Dan Saracino, and "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote.

3. Are there any online resources for learning abstract algebra?

Yes, there are several online resources for learning abstract algebra such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and YouTube channels like "Abstract Algebra Online" and "MathDoctorBob".

4. What topics are typically covered in an abstract algebra book?

An abstract algebra book typically covers topics such as group theory, ring theory, field theory, and module theory. It may also cover other advanced topics such as Galois theory, representation theory, and homological algebra.

5. How can I use an abstract algebra book to improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills using an abstract algebra book, it is important to actively engage with the material by working through the examples and exercises, seeking help from a teacher or tutor when needed, and regularly reviewing and practicing the concepts learned.