Radiation Physics: Career Opportunities & Research

• Physics
  • Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, if you want to pursue a career in medical physics, you should have a degree in physics ('pure'), followed by a graduate degree in medical physics.
Niles
Hi all.

Today at school at I saw a poster on radiation physics. I have never thought about taking courses in this area of physics, but it seems very applied, so I am interested in knowing more about this.

Is it possible to get a job at e.g. a medical center/hospital doing research if you have only studied radiation physics, and not medical physics/biophysics in general? And if this wouldn't work out, do you know if there is being research done in this area anymore?

Thanks in advance.Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Radiation physics could include a lot of things.

In relation to medical physics radiation physics might include Monte Carlo transport algorithms, nano-scale track structure, accelerator design, detector design, instrumentation (for example a study of the performance of circuits/devices when subject to radiation - this has applications in medicine and space), medical applications of high LET radiation, etc.

In general, if you're interested in working in a hospital with physics, medical physics is the way to go.

How would you rate the chances of a "pure" physicst with considerable experience in radiation to be able to work at a medical center/hospital doing the above mentioned things?

The reason why I am asking is because the biophysical courses at my college are mostly courses in chemistry and biochemistry, so I am not so sure how applied they are.

As I said, if you're really interested in working in a hospital with radiation, medical physics is the way to go. The best path towards getting there is an undergraduate degree in physics ('pure' physics), followed by a graduate degree in medical physics.
Note that to get into a medical physics program, you don't generally need any courses other than those you would pursue in a regular undergraduate physics program (although exact requirements do vary from school to school).

You can get into the field with say a Ph.D. in another area of physics, but this avenue is shrinking rapidly - largely because you would be competing with graduates coming from certified medical physics programs. I can't give you exact odds on the matter because it's a supply and demand issue.

Biophysics tends more to do with the physics of interactions on the biochemical level. The biophysicists I know, spend a lot of time working out the kinetics of different drugs - work that ultimately can suggest more lucrative avenues of research for pharmeceuticals.

1. What career options are available in radiation physics?

There are various career opportunities in radiation physics, including medical physics, nuclear engineering, radiation protection, and research and development in industries such as energy, aerospace, and defense.

2. What education and training are required for a career in radiation physics?

A career in radiation physics typically requires a graduate degree in a relevant field, such as physics, engineering, or medical physics. Many positions also require certification by a professional organization, such as the American Board of Radiology or the American Board of Medical Physics.

3. What type of research is conducted in radiation physics?

Radiation physics research is diverse and multidisciplinary, with a focus on understanding the properties and effects of radiation on matter, developing new technologies for medical and industrial applications, and exploring the use of radiation in space exploration. Common areas of research include radiation dosimetry, radiation therapy, and radiation detection and imaging.

4. What are the potential risks associated with working in radiation physics?

Working in radiation physics can involve exposure to ionizing radiation, which can be harmful if proper safety measures are not followed. However, with proper training and adherence to safety protocols, the risks can be minimized. Additionally, careers in radiation physics often involve working with radioactive materials, which require careful handling and disposal to prevent harm to individuals and the environment.

5. How does radiation physics contribute to society?

Radiation physics plays a critical role in various industries and fields, including healthcare, energy production, and national security. In healthcare, radiation physics enables the use of radiation in diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, such as X-rays and radiation therapy for cancer treatment. In energy production, radiation physics is essential for the development and maintenance of nuclear power plants. And in national security, radiation physics is used in areas such as nuclear non-proliferation and detection of nuclear materials.